Streptocarpus questions

andersandy(z5 CO)August 29, 2005

My friend and I have been bitten badly by the streptocarpus bug! I used to grow AV's long ago - even became a judge for awhile. Now it's the streps that have me.

Questions: Is there any resource that would list characteristics of the various named hybrids? For instance, a plant whose leaves want to curl - it could be a characteristic or something attacking it or the wrong growing conditions for it. I have the Dibley book, and have been buying starter plants from various sources. Now, many are large and beginning to bloom. I'm seeing their characteristics individually. The descriptions of the plants (like the wonderful online resource with pictures) are just the positive things - the selling points!

#2: If you have a collection of plants, is there something you routinely do to protect them from various diseases? I remember doing that for my violets - mixing stuff in the soil as i recall. If you are giving away or selling plants, you don't want to give a 'bonus' with them. What do growers use?

That's enough for this posting. I've been following the posts on streps the last couple months and am amazed at the knowledge out there!!

By the way, if there ISN'T any source of info on strep plant characteristics, maybe we should MAKE one. I'm an ex-database designer - it would fit well. We'd just need everyone with experience on various hybrids to send their info! Sandy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maureen_ottawa(z4)

Hi Sandy,

I'm afraid that there isn't a resource for strep characteristics. It's been mentioned before that someone should compile one. It seems that the sellers just get by on a few characteristics to describe streps, e.g., compact, multiflowering, and blooms can be large, small, contrasting throat colour and/or stripes from the throat.

I do the same for streps as for AVs -- I include diatomaceous earth in my soil mix. And I use Neem oil in the spring and the fall.

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 3:57PM
gmgpk(IL)

Sandy,

Here is site that you might want to subscribe to get e-mails. Many of the people on this mailing list are hybridizers and collectors of gesneriads. They will surely be able to answer any of your questions. I've subscribed to it since I started growing gesneriads and even posted a few questions. So, feel free to lurk on it or post questions.

Shelley

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 7:18PM
gmgpk(IL)

Oops, my link didn't come through. Sorry, here it is.

http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/gesneriphiles

Shelley

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 7:25PM
Motezuma(z5 WV)

Here is another site. One of the most complete I know of. It is kind of a list of characteristics.

-Mo (WV)

Here is a link that might be useful: Carlynn's site

Bookmark   September 10, 2005 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
ID? Episcias?
Any thoughts? On lyndonlyon.com I looked it up and...
suyoder
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
How fast will a lipstick plant grow? ((Aeschynanthus radicans)
I got one in a 6 inch hanging basket on clearance at...
tlbean2004
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™