How do I tell E. 'Faded Jade' from E. 'Spearmint'?

korina(9b, Sunset 17)August 5, 2004

I have a noid Episcia that could be either one. Googling was inconclusive, so is there a way to tell?

Korina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

I have the same problem with Karlyn and Ronnie.

Sorry, can't help.

Nancy

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 6:35PM
komi(z7/8 DC)

I'm terrible at telling things apart. It might be worth giving LyndonLyon a call to see if they can help. They have pictures of both on their website.

Bookmark   August 5, 2004 at 10:10PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Thanks, Komi -- that's how I narrowed it down to the two.

Grr! Argh!

Korina

PS D'you think maybe I'm being a little too anal?

Bookmark   August 6, 2004 at 12:26PM
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi Korina,

Not really. I personally want to know the names of all my plants if it is possible.

Larry

Bookmark   August 7, 2004 at 5:09AM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Hi all, (I'm back after six months). Korina you just have a green and silver episcia. Good luck on ID'ing it to a named variety. You may come up with a good ID or it may always be questionable, since episcias change, depending on culture, time of year, mood etc. Spearmint generally makes bigger leaves and is vigorous. Mine, which I lost, came from Lyons. It was really nice, a simple silver and green pattern--very fresh looking. Faded Jade is one I grew years ago (an old Lyon's hybrid); it was noted for being a compact grower--which in episcias means generally smaller leaves and shorter stolons. But. for leaf pattern I would have to see them both again--the memory fails. And, there are other green and silver varieties out there. So, that is why I say that you may have to just accept its unnamed status. Although these all have the standard cupreata flowers, there are subtle differences to some of the cultivars so perhaps these two might have something that you could use to help, when comparing to a photo.

Jon

Bookmark   August 8, 2004 at 4:11PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Thanks, all. You'd think I'd be used to this by now with all my noid AVs. It started as a stolon someone claimed came from a friend's yard (she said skeptically). I planted it *all* wrong, not knowing a thing about Episcias, and just recently dug it up; it was in such bad shape I took it apart into five cuttings, which are all rooted now. I'm just trying to get my 'local' AV club interested so they'll take them off my hands.

Jon, it's probably not Faded Jade; I just measured the one full-grown leaf and it's 3" long. Not exactly compact. :-)

Thanks again, everyone. I'll just relax and enjoy it.

Korina

Bookmark   August 12, 2004 at 6:46PM
linary(z3b MN)

Can anyone tell me where I could order a good episcia. How are Rob's Violets? Or Victoria Violets?
This will be my first one.
Thanks.

Bookmark   August 14, 2004 at 7:45PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

I have bought plants from Lyndon Lyon's at convention plant sales. They do a fantastic job with everything they grow. Their episcias are very full and lush in little pots. They also have a nice list of varieties though not a long list like Marcia Belisle (who offers about 130 named varieties). Robs is well known for quality too. I don't know about the violet dealer.

There are links to on-line nurseries on the "Suppliers" page on the AGGS web site, as well as mailing addresses for the others.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: AGGS homepage

Bookmark   August 15, 2004 at 1:06PM
mwedzi(chicago)

The one sold to me as Faded Jade also has large leaves. It doesn't seem particularly compact at all, and I think I bought it from a reputable guy. You may never know. I say just pick one. I think Faded Jade is more much commonly distributed than Spearmint, so if you play the odds you probably got Faded Jade.

Bookmark   September 13, 2004 at 6:48PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

That's absolutely true. 'Faded Jade' is known to grow slightly smaller leaves but can be just as big as others. Episcias respond so much to culture, lighting etc. that is is hard to say what they are, as they change in size, coloring, and even pattern, depending on so many factors.

Bookmark   September 14, 2004 at 12:59PM
mwedzi(chicago)

Hi. there's a spearmint on ebay now. It looks rather different from Faded Jade. It looks like the outer parts are darker green than Faded Jade, almost brown. I just got a Spearmint stolon yesterday, and I did see some faint brown lines, but wasn't going to say anything until it got bigger, since stolons often look different from older leaves. But compare the ebay picture of Spearmint, and compare the picture I posted of Faded Jade in the gallery, and see if either matches what you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay spearmint

Bookmark   September 16, 2004 at 5:02PM
susancarol(7)

Thanks mwedzi. That's how I got outbid! LOL! Thanks for telling everyone.

Susan

Bookmark   September 18, 2004 at 2:15PM
bigred(z8 Ark.)

try this link...loads of epsicia pictures. Helped me id a couple of my epsicia correctly.

P

Bookmark   November 16, 2006 at 7:09AM
More Discussions
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
ID? Episcias?
Any thoughts? On lyndonlyon.com I looked it up and...
suyoder
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™