Television ginger growing idea

dancinglemons(7B VA)February 9, 2008

I have read the postings on this forum about putting ginger into ziplock bag with damp paper towel. Then putting bag in some moderately warm place. My house is rather cool mostly around 60-65 degrees because I do not like heat. I could not let the ginger stay on my warming mat because I am starting my seeds for summer garden. I decided to put those zip bags on top of the television because it is always about 70/75 degrees up there. (Old fashioned TV - not flat screen).

Does anyone know if this is too hot for the ginger?? I check it every day and it is OK so far. No sprouts and no mold - just small amount of condensation. Should I cover the zip bags to keep them in the dark??

Thanks,

DL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beaverbrewer

That sounds like an interesting idea, but I've always (well, the 3 or 4 times I've done it) started ginger just by putting it somewhere out of the way. Usually I've tried to put it somewhere darkish, we happen to have a cupboard above the fridge, so that's about ideal. I also just left it out in the spare room.

Point being - no particular attention to temperature (or humidity - the "root" itself has a lot of moisture, so I never put it in a bag or anything). Warmish and darkish was enough for me to get good results.

I will say that you have to be careful about picking a nice fresh root. It's pretty to see if the ones your grocery store is selling have seen better days. I find that if they look overly wet or yellow, it's a good indication they've been frozen. If they're wrinkled they've been dried out too much and/or are old. If they have any moldy bits, I wouldn't bother with them.

Bookmark   April 29, 2008 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Hedychium 'tara' and 'disney'
Does anyone grow both tara and disney and/or know what...
shane11
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
Grocery store ginger is sprouting
Hey all - I have a ginger on my dining table that I...
a_shau
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™