moving plants to improve fragrance

whitejade(z5 MI)September 4, 2005

I have loved fragant plants of all types for many years - one thing I've noted personally is that sometimes a plant will be more or less fragrant depending on where exactly one puts them.

This summer that was really driven home to me because I'd bought a Sweet Chariot miniature rose - it arrived in the mail and as soon as I unwrapped it was treated to about 4 blooms of the most incredible fragrance! I was pretty excited, thinking how glorious this rose smelled - but ever since planting it, it's been non-fragrant. Almost totally.

I know that sometimes a plant will be listed as fragrant but will not perform , and maybe it was a lackluster seedling or soemthing - but in my case, I KNOW this plant can produce incredible scented flowrs because I've smelled them - it's just not doing that (and it has rebloomed now about 4 times from when I first planted it so it is well over the planting shock) . I've moved plants around and found that this Did in fact help them somehow, so I will be doing that for this Sweet Chariot too. In all other ways this rose is really strong!

Anyone else have such an experience?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
risingpower1(Essex, UK)

Indeed yes, roses and other plants need a lot of light and rich soil to produce stronger scents and I find it's strongest when the soil is drier and there's a lot of light around. I'd put some manure or really rich compost around the rose, and scatter the area with fertilizer.

RP1

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Lonicerasyringantha
This will be this deciduous honeysuckle shrub's 3rd...
hemnancy
Jasminum Molle
I have seen Jasminum Molle on ebay( seller birdcare10)....
bunti
magnolia × wieseneri
Anyone have this in their garden? Sounds amazing but...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
What michelia is this?
I was at a nursery and saw this michelia with some...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Wanted: Rare scented plants
I have many rare scented tropicals to swap. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Sponsored Products
Modern Flowers Mirror
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Santrini Contemporary 5 Drawer Chest - Espresso - IDF-7088C
$459.99 | Hayneedle
Flex Pocket iPhone 4/4S Charger
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Tempest Hairhide Rug 11'6" x 14'6"
$5,199.00 | Horchow
Jaipur Metro Zianna Area Rug - RUG110463
$62.00 | Hayneedle