Native Plant Sale April 20

esh_gaApril 2, 2013

The super big native plant sale held by the Georgia Native Plant Society will be this year on Saturday, April 20th.

Thousands of plants will be for sale, many of them rescued with permission from local construction sites. Some things you can't get anywhere else because they just aren't in the nursery trade. Perennials, ferns, shrubs, vines, trees ....

The sale will be the same place it has been since 2010: McFarlane Nature Park in Marietta. For more information, please visit the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: GNPS plant sale

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

Despite the fact I had to pay shipping, I ordered a 2013 T-shirt so I could wear it to the sale instead of picking it up at the sale.

Best Wishes--Carl
Atlanta, GA
ITP

Bookmark   April 3, 2013 at 7:12PM
esh_ga

Well then we'll look for you in the shirt, Carl! I'll be in the trees and shrubs area.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 7:40AM
ApprenticeGardener(7b or 8)

Will sweetshrub be among those for sale in your area ?

Best Wishes--Carl

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 4:23PM
esh_ga

Yes, sweetshrub will be there.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 7:23AM
organic_gardenhag(7)

esh- I Got my 3 sweetshrub from the Chatahoochee Nature Center sale, 2 red, 1 yellow, 2 years ago, hope they bloom this year. Ii also got a dogwood that is growing huge, but hasn't ' produced one flower or bud, think it was mis labeled. It's a dogwood, just don't think it is the cornus florida tree.
I am planning to come to this sale, guess we better get there early to get my trees. Did I miss a list somewhere on the GNPS site for the sale?

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 9:43PM
esh_ga

Hi organic, there is not a list posted yet. But if you have any specific questions, ask here and I'll be happy to find out for you.

It is possible that CNC was selling one of the shrub dogwoods; the leaf should look similar to Cornus florida and have opposite leaf arrangement (unless it is alternate leaf dogwood which is the only one that doesn't).

Those sweetshrub do need a little sun to bloom. The blooms emerge with the leaves so if they leaves are out you should know if they are going to bloom by now.

Bookmark   April 12, 2013 at 7:45AM
cathys1951(z8 GA)

Can someone send me a pic of the sweetshrub. I think I have some that I got from my husbands aunt. But I'm not sure what it is. She said sweetshrub or sweet william. Really confused as to what it is. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 6:42PM
esh_ga

Here is a link to a picture of sweetshrub:

There is a partial list of plants on the GNPS website now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 9:49PM
organic_gardenhag(7)

esh- I do want to get native dogwood trees, 2 or 3, smaller is good, no bigger than 2-3 gal, just want to know for sure its a tree, have to replace the one previously planted. I am also interested in the sassafras, heucheras, hellebores, more ground covers. I am a plant addict, but I have to depend on someone else to help me right now. Are there only natives? I may have to find someone to go with me.

Bookmark   April 14, 2013 at 10:46PM
esh_ga

Yes, only natives so no hellebores.

There will not be any of the flowering dogwood trees (Cornus florida); those are best purchased at a nursery where improved, disease-resistant cultivars are sold.

Bookmark   April 15, 2013 at 7:32AM
herboil

Does anyone know if they are going to have anything that bears fruit or is edible or used as an herb?

Those are things I am really interested, like PErsimmon, or wild berries or ginseng( yeah right lol)

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 11:07PM
esh_ga

Some small persimmon trees, no ginseng, no wild raspberries. Plenty for wildlife to eat, but not humans so much.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:06AM
esh_ga

Oh I forgot, we'll have Gooseberry, Ribes curvatum.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
esh_ga

And some American hazelnut (Corylus americana) showed up so that will be there.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 6:53PM
herboil

oH MY goodness this is pretty tempting. This is the year and the time to change! So bring whatcha got and don't be afraid to give some away!

Bookmark   April 19, 2013 at 1:02AM
More Discussions
online peonies
Just ordered some peonies from a California nursery...
raptor1
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
FREE lime tree in pot (Atlanta/Buckhead)
Free to good home -- you must know how to care for...
alison234
winter veggies in straw bale garden?
I have used the straw bale gardening method in spots...
katy_bug
Where should I plant a fatsia japonica?
Other than, in a milder climate. I've had it in a pot...
esga
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™