What should I do with this ginger

karyn1(7a)February 17, 2007

I have some sort of peach ginger that I planted last summer. I had to take it inside over the winter and it's getting too big. It has a number of stalks and most are about 6' tall. The last one finished flowering about 2 weeks ago. Should I cut the stalks that have already bloomed back or will they continue to grow and bloom again? This plant is just getting way too big to have inside. I'd also love to know what kind it is if anyone can ID it from this pic.

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaempferiaguy

Hi Karyn1, your ginger appears to be a Hedychium hybrid. These gingers will grow to 6 feet or so and bloom only once on each cane. Cutting off the old cane before it naturally yellows off will reduce the vigor of the next growth. There are lots of neat gingers which are of a more modest size that may fit your growing conditions better. kaempferiaguy

Bookmark   February 19, 2007 at 1:56PM
karyn1(7a)

Oops! I already cut back a couple of the stems that had bloomed. How long does it take before they start to yellow? These just seem to get taller and taller. I'll leave the rest of the stems alone. Just about 2 more months than it can go back outside and I can have my foyer back.
Karyn

Bookmark   February 22, 2007 at 9:51PM
boom_to

Karyn,
It seems like you've luck of growing ginger than I. I just lost all both ginger and heliconias over fall and winter. I will plant ginger roots that I brought from Hawaii in March. Would you mind sharing with me what types of medium you used for planting your ginger? Thanks,
Boom

Bookmark   February 24, 2007 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Hedychium gigantum
Guys I bought a pair of rhizomes last winter, and both...
thefof
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
Hedychium didnt flower & developed brown leaves
Hi, I'm new to growing gingers and thought it would...
rexedwardfairy
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover (9A Inverness)
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Sponsored Products
Shower Curtain Artistic - Patternization I
$89.00 | DiaNoche
Finishing Touch Minishade 3 in. x 6 in. x 5 in. Black Parchment with Gold Foil I
$7.99 | Home Depot
Blue & Yellow Stripe Ribbon Monogram Plate
$34.99 | zulily
Wilcox Globe 17" High Pin-Up Wall Sconce
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Flower Power Plant Sensor
$59.50 | FRONTGATE
Safavieh Sherri Taupe Ottoman
Overstock.com
Stowe Leather Ottoman - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
Bellagio Mushroom 84-Inch Blackout Grommet Window Curtain Panel