Episcia problem

txcactus(7b Dallas/Fort Worth)August 28, 2008

Hi All,

I'm not sure what is wrong with my episcia but it looks unhealthy. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've had it about a year. It doesn't live outside. It was only out to have its picture taken. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I've been told, by people who know what they're talking about, unlike me!, that you should re-start episcias every year or so, or whenever they get to looking straggly. Also, yours looks basically healthy, but like it could use a little more light. They need a little more light than AVs for instance. Hope that helps!

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 10:31PM
lilypad22(7)

Go to Rob's Violet Barn website. There are instructions on episcia. They do look wonderful for awhile and then they get leggy...it's their nature, you need to restart the stolens.

Bookmark   August 28, 2008 at 11:09PM
txcactus(7b Dallas/Fort Worth)

Thanks to both of you for your input.

What a great site! They even sell potting soil for them! Thanks for sharing - I'll be making an order soon.

Bookmark   August 29, 2008 at 11:13AM
lilypad22(7)

I buy a bag of African Violet potting soil, like peters - (nothing with the extra water holding pellets or extra time release fertilizer), and a bag of perlite. I add about 1/3 or so of perlite with 2/3 av potting soil and mix that. It is the same soil I use for my violets and it works fine with episcia.

tish

Bookmark   September 5, 2008 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
A couple of house plants
A few years ago I decided to get rid of Michaels fake...
bouldergrower
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™