Impressive Lettuce

derbykaMay 21, 2013

One of the guys at my community garden has been growing a lettuce variety (name unknown) that his friend brought back from Portugal at least a few years ago. He gave me some seed last year and this lettuce is great so far. I have slowly stopped growing less and less of other varieties and more and more replant the seeds from previous generation of this variety. It is still germinating when direct seeded and producing consistently in this heat and humidity here in 10a in St. Pete. It is somewhat red in color, a little ruffly, but very large leafed/stiff and crisp. The plants bolt a little more quickly over all in the heat but keep going as long as they are watered well. The plants get maybe 1 hour of shade in the morning. I am going to get some more seed in the next couple of days and was wondering if anyone else wanted some/was curious and wanted to try it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
happy_fl_gardener

derbyka - I'm very impressed at how nice the lettuce looks this time of year especially at zone 10a!!! How does it taste? Not bitter? Sure, I would like to give this lettuce a try. I would be glad to send you a S.E.S.E. so it won't cost you any postage. Please send me an email.

Christine

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:51AM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

I'm impressed, too! A lettuce that takes full sun in St. Pete in May is something. If it does not taste bitter, I would love to try some. I will be happy to send a S.A.S.E. or trade, whichever you prefer. Please email me.

Laura

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:07AM
derbyka

It does taste a little bitter now, but I find mainly down low in the "stalky" part of the leaf. I usually just harvest the top half of the leaf and soak in cold water if it's bitter at all. Watering a lot right before picking helps too. I'm not sure if the bitterness will be worse later on as I didn't attempt to grow it in the summer last year. It might have a harder time as the heat sets in more down here. I've been continually re-planting to see how far I can push it. If you are still interested, I would be happy to send some seed. I will keep harvesting more if anyone wants to wait until the fall too.

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:35AM
TampaBull(9)

Hello

I would love to have some if you have any available.
E-mail me what you need.

Thanks

Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 11:22PM
happy_fl_gardener

derbyka - Did you get my email?

Christine

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:50AM
L_in_FL(8B/9A Border, NW FL)

Derbyka, I sent you an email. Please let me know if you didn't get it.

Thanks,
Laura

Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 3:28PM
derbyka

Did any of you guys further north/inland with cooler nights have luck with the seeds I sent in July and August? I brought some to Illinois when visiting my parents and planted it. It has thrived (no bolting or bitterness) through July and August here (80-90 temps, but it cools down here at night and is less humid).

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 1:29PM
happy_fl_gardener

derbyka - I sprouted just a few seeds to try them out. They were too stressed to grow well. I'll wait for the cooler weather to plant them again. Thanks for the seeds.

Christine

Bookmark   August 27, 2013 at 7:51PM
derbyka

I wanted to check in to see how the lettuce was growing for others.

Bookmark   April 9, 2014 at 10:24PM
More Discussions
What is your best/favorite ground cover?
I need ground cover ideas. I love to fill in places...
aroidgardener
looking for more info on this tree
I was given a pod off a "Giant Star Potato",...
master_gardner_nick
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
Please help ID this agastache 9a
Hi All, It's been a long time since I've had time to...
rvird01
Yacon rhizomes
Hey Carmen, You out there? CYE pronto, I have your...
tomncath
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™