Has anyone had luck with Hedychium in zone 6?

bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)March 31, 2013

I see many, many Hedychiums listed as hardy to zone 7, maybe even most of them. But I wondered if anyone has tried pushing the limits, and had success in zone 6 leaving the plants in the ground year-round. I could cover the area with leaves or mulch, but I wouldn't want to go to any further means of protection such as heating cables, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

Hi Bill! I'm in 7b, but I grow on a balcony so all my things are in pots. My hedychiums lived through the winter, and I see one teeny sprout now. My conditions have a chance to be more of an inground 7a or 6b, so I thought I would chime in.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 8:49PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

My hawiian white butterfly ginger came back in zone 6, it's wasn't a big root and I gone in July so it had time to settle, but not alot, it's spiked up 2 little points...

It's in a slightly protected location but wasn't planted deep, it had no mulch on it!

Bookmark   June 8, 2013 at 8:12AM
miketropic

I have on out this year but Im not sure if I'm brave enough to leave it out all winter yet.

Bookmark   June 13, 2013 at 3:28PM
bill_ri_z6b(Zone 6B)

I have one in a pot for several years, and I bring it inside for the winter, but it's not really happy and flourishing. I think next spring I'll plant it out in the ground and see what happens. It's not blooming in the pot anyway, so why keep it that way?

It'll be just another of my many experiments!

Bookmark   August 26, 2013 at 5:17PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Well, I saw a thriving colony of coronarium at the Jones Center in Springdale, AR this year. It may have only been set out this year...I don't know...but it was loaded with fragrant flowers.

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 8:00PM
chloeasha

Dbarron-- that's like a mile from my parents! I was going to give them my hedychium. I don't recall it being there before. There is a chance that they set it out and carry it back and forth, but not necessarily. They do lift some things. I'll go send my mom to look :)

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 10:09AM
chloeasha

Hey dbarron! I got your message, but you have messages disabled so I couldn't reply. I never made it there and I couldn't get my mom to figure out what I was talking about. So I am unsure as well as to if there is a hole in the ground or what!

Bookmark   January 2, 2014 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Are Cardamom rhizomes edible?
I bought a cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) plant this...
PhyllostachysSam
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
ginger forum
Ginger or ginger root is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber...
spageopriya
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™