Can shell ginger be stored dormant overwinter?

rokal(LongIsland/z6b)March 15, 2007

I was wondering if variegated shell ginger (Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata') could be stored dormant for the winter in a cool basement (55-60F) with little or no lights? Can the branches be removed and the rhizomes stored similar to cannas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xerophyte_nyc(7)

I tried with 3 plants last fall and was unsuccessful. This year I am trying something different.

I have plants in 3 gal pots with 1 inch holes all along the sides submerged into the ground, The roots will find there way out and the plant will grow quickly.

BEFORE a frost, I will dig out the pot and trim back the roots, with minimal shock to the main root base. I will store in the cool garage under lights, and minimal water.

I was unsuccessful the 1st time around I think because A) i let a hard frost kill the leaves on a young plant and B) uprooting the rhizome may have been too much trauma.

I feel confident it can be achieved, it's a matter of trial, error and resources.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 1:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I've stored mine in a pot with minimal watering in a dark area. In March it wants to start growing again. At this point I give it a bit more water and move it to a lighter situation. Mine was stored at around 60 degrees. It looks a bit ratty but is putting on new growth and should look real good in a few weeks.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Heliconias in zone 9A?
I live in Barcelona (Spain) a Mediterranean zone similar...
barna
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover (9A Inverness)
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™