Can shell ginger be stored dormant overwinter?

rokal(LongIsland/z6b)March 15, 2007

I was wondering if variegated shell ginger (Alpinia zerumbet 'Variegata') could be stored dormant for the winter in a cool basement (55-60F) with little or no lights? Can the branches be removed and the rhizomes stored similar to cannas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xerophyte_nyc(7)

I tried with 3 plants last fall and was unsuccessful. This year I am trying something different.

I have plants in 3 gal pots with 1 inch holes all along the sides submerged into the ground, The roots will find there way out and the plant will grow quickly.

BEFORE a frost, I will dig out the pot and trim back the roots, with minimal shock to the main root base. I will store in the cool garage under lights, and minimal water.

I was unsuccessful the 1st time around I think because A) i let a hard frost kill the leaves on a young plant and B) uprooting the rhizome may have been too much trauma.

I feel confident it can be achieved, it's a matter of trial, error and resources.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 1:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I've stored mine in a pot with minimal watering in a dark area. In March it wants to start growing again. At this point I give it a bit more water and move it to a lighter situation. Mine was stored at around 60 degrees. It looks a bit ratty but is putting on new growth and should look real good in a few weeks.

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
free ginger
i have 1 acre of ginger that i must thin out they are...
jerry39
My Ginger Does Not Bloom
I bought a white ginger last fall. It grows well and...
tmli
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
Are Cardamom rhizomes edible?
I bought a cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) plant this...
PhyllostachysSam
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™