I Want To Grow Ginger, My First Time

MissionGrowerMarch 20, 2012

Ok, so when I say that this is my "first time" growing ginger, I actually mean this may be just about my first time growing much of anything. I have lots of plants that I bought pre-grown and managed to keep alive, but I've never taken the initiative to grow anything on my own just because I really, really wanted to make it grow. Until now. I saw some pictures of ornamental ginger today and I think these plants look just beautiful. I wanted to grow Curcumas maybe.

I have a house and a lawn and can grow these indoors or outdoors. I live near Los Angeles. So my questions are:

1) should I try growing indoors or outdoors?

2) is it too late in the year to plant seeds? I would need to buy them somewhere and get them planted so it could be a few more weeks before I get this underway.

3) are these plants appropriate for my climate? Most of the places on my lawn where I have space to plant get a lot of full sun and it looks like these guys want at least partial shade.

4) can anyone give me tips or suggestions?

Thank you!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesmaloy

Wow, Your not kidding newbie,I will give a little advise, first, Look for rhizomes/bulbs not seed. If you could plant possibly where you get morning sun and afternoon shade it would really help the plants to not scorch, I know nothing about zoning or climate for Los Angeles, You can often find the rhizomes on ebay but try gingersrus He has a huge variety and enough information to fill several books. Also to gain more knowledge do a search on this forum There is a ton of info. from experts and beginners and many topics covered. Many people also do trades swapping for a variety or species and varieties within species. I hope this helps some
James in Florida

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Watering my Siam Tulip
I found these beauties at our Lowes and HAD to have...
shelemiahisback
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Are Cardamom rhizomes edible?
I bought a cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) plant this...
PhyllostachysSam
free ginger
i have 1 acre of ginger that i must thin out they are...
jerry39
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™