rooting cuttings of hairy leaf columneas

komi(z7/8 DC)September 20, 2004

I'm having trouble rooting cuttings of the fuzzier trailing columneas. I have no problem with the shinier leafed varieties. Does anyone have any tips?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Can you give us some names?--if you know them. I have never noticed this, and am wondering if it is possible you have something other than columneas for either the shiny leafed ones or the hairy ones. Though, they do come in a range of hairiness from pretty smooth to somewhat fuzzed out. I find columneas root best if enclosed, whereas nematanthus and aeschynanthus will root uncovered in regular soil. For columneas I use my general rooting mix of perlite/vermiculite, enclosing the small pot in a ziplock bag. Then I get the best rooting when the bagged cuttings are placed on a light stand. A bright north window works too. But, cuttings will rot if not given good light. Tip cuttings of about three to six inches work best, but cuttings from lower down on young stems work well too. Check periodically and remove any rotted parts right away to prevent spread. You could go to the trouble of treating the cuttings with a fungicide as some professionals do, but I have always had good luck without it.

jon

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 5:38PM
komi(z7/8 DC)

I bet light is it then. I stuck it in a terrarium with very low light. I'll try again with a bit more light. The one I am really trying to propagate is Lava Flow - red flowers streaked with yellow. Leaves are fuzzy for a columnea - not really really fuzzy. My favorite of the hybrids. I could give it the orchid treatment (Physan20) for the rotting issue too....

Bookmark   September 20, 2004 at 6:12PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

Komi, it definitely sounds like a problem of too little light. Over the years I slowly figured it out. My light stand now is a sea of little cuttings and plants living in their ziplock environments. It doesn't look so great but I keep these myriad plants going when I don't have time or room to grow them on to big plants.

I have heard of 'Lava Flow' but never grew it. 'Julia' is a great hybrid with red flowers. It has somewhat hairly leaves too. I don't have it now, but remember it to be one of the prettiest columneas. Cuttings also root very well in long fiber sphagnum moss, but then you are confronted with the problem of separating the rooted cuts from the moss to pot on. So, I use perlite/vermiculite. It seems to promote much less rot than mixes with the above two plus peatmoss.

Jon

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 2:39PM
komi(z7/8 DC)

Thanks, Jon. The lava flow has buds right now and I'll post a pic when they bloom. (Assuming that what I saw on it in passing this morning was dust and not bugs.) It needs a trimming as the old growths defoliated when I let the temperatures drop last winter.

Bookmark   September 21, 2004 at 3:40PM
More Discussions
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
mirage leaf rotting
just was checking on my tray of streps.... and theres...
shihtzu4su
Sponsored Products
Roland Simmons Trovato Short Diamond Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Liberty Creek Collection Leather Wingback Chair - RED
$3,899.00 | Horchow
"Lismore Diamond" Red Wine Glass - CLEAR
$70.00 | Horchow
Jaipur Notion Delia Area Rug - RUG110119
$132.00 | Hayneedle
Tennessee State Bamboo Cutting & Serving Board
$19.99 | zulily