What to do with all of them?

Cabarb(Z 9- Fresno, CA)September 29, 2004

I wish I could remember whose page I went to that had a massive amount of streps displayed...darn! My question is...if you get "into" this strep propagation, and have lots and lots of them...what do you do with them all? I mean...technically can you sell them if they are babies from ones you purchased from a company? Probably a stupid question, but I will ask anyway!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dampflippers(Tyne & Wear UK)

In Britain it is illegal to propogate named varieties for sale without permission, but I'm sure alot are given to charity shops, market stalls, school and church fetes and disposed of that way. I know this because there was a sign at a propogating nursery I visited.

Bookmark   September 30, 2004 at 4:35AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

In the USA it is perfectly legal to propagate named varieties of streps. If a plant cultivar is patented then it is a violation of the patent to propagate and sell it. But, I know of no patented streps. With other plants that are patented the purpose of the patent is to prevent big wholesale growers from mass producing the plants. They are not concerned with someone making a few propagations. Obtaining a patent is an expensive thing and up until a few years ago plants were rarely patented; but, in the last few years, the large growers have been patenting cultivars that they sell in large quantities in nurseries. I frequently see patents on such plants as double impatiens, ivy geraniums, zonal geraniums, novelty variegated plants. etc.

A good way to deal with propagations is to join a club that has plant sales. Some groups will allow members to sell plants and keep a percentage of the sales. I know this is popular in some African Violet groups and in some gesneriad societies. Other groups depend on members providing the plants as donations. My local gesneriad groups do it the latter way, and I donate all of the many plants I grow for their sales.

I suggest you join your local clubs--there is a gesneriad and an African Violet group in Fresno. They share many of the same members, and they are very nice folks. I have met them on occasion when they carpool up to San Francisco or Sacramento to one of the big shows and sales of gesneriads, AV's or succulents (another interest of many of the same people).

Jon

Bookmark   September 30, 2004 at 1:58PM
More Discussions
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
How fast will a lipstick plant grow? ((Aeschynanthus radicans)
I got one in a 6 inch hanging basket on clearance at...
tlbean2004
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
How to create trade list?
How do I create trade list in Houzz? I have A violets,...
Debbie
Sponsored Products
Standard Glennwood Oak Chest
Fifthroom.com
Chrome Finish Ripple Glass Drum Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Modern Vessel Sink | Black Round (Circular)
maestrobath
Prichard - Slate Blue fabric sectional with left-arm chaise
Interior Define
Ava Rug 8' x 10' - DARK BROWN
$6,429.00 | Horchow
Peer Chaise Outdoor Patio Set of 4 in Brown orange
$1,099.00 | LexMod
Classic Solid Brass Quadruple Switch Plate
Signature Hardware
Mondo Maxi Wall Sconce by Oggetti Luce
$814.00 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™