Sinn. speciosa as aphid magnet

korina(9b, Sunset 17)September 7, 2006

So I have this florists gloxinia, my first, and the first thing it did was die down and throw up a new growth. Which is covered with green aphids. I've sprayed it a number of times and they keep coming back.

How bad an idea would it be to cut off the growth and repot the tuber in fresh medium? I gotta get rid of the bug nests in the soil. Aphids do nest in the soil, don't they?

Korina

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Korina,

Do not burn the house just because of aphids.

I know you do not like chemicals, even Shultz neem oil spray.

Old recipe: collect 20 cigarette butts with some tobacco left in them, boil in a cup of water , strain, add a spoon of soap and spray them bugs 3 times week apart. Outside please.

Since tobacco is a poison - all smokers know it, aren't they - and somebody cigarette butts are not a clean substance - do everything in the gloves.

Just for you:

There are five elements: earth, air, fire, water and garlic. - Louis Diat

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 12:51PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Irina, love the quote. Thanks.

I guess I just need to *keep* spraying. I can kill the little monsters, but they keep coming back.

Thanks again.

Korina

Bookmark   September 8, 2006 at 1:43PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Well, I fixed *that*. I used my new homemade all-purpose potion, and the leaves started dying. So I went ahead and lopped it off and potted down in new mix. We'll see how it goes. I'm not too worried; it's only a grocery store noid, just my first speciosa.

Korina

'They can shoot me dead, but the moral high ground is *mine*.' ~the Doctor

Bookmark   September 11, 2006 at 5:30PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

Korina,

Aphids are large enough to put on those gloves and just squish them between fingers. That's what I do with roses in spring. I also dislodge them with a large spray of water.

You might be able to take the plant(s) to the sink, adjust to warm water and spray the blooms.

Insecticidal soap is a safe and effective way to control aphids. Hot Pepper Insect Repellant will keep them away as well. Maybe you could make up your own.

Beneficial insects can rid you of a large infestation, but if you have only a few plants this is unnecessary and costly.

Chemical solution: Spray UNDER THE LEAVES. If you feel you must use chemicals, (not recommended in this case) Malathion, Diazinon and pyrethrins are effective.

Nancy

Bookmark   September 12, 2006 at 12:25PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I was walking with my mother admiring her plants and generally talking gardening, and she saw some aphids on something and reached out automatically and squished them, and looked at her fingers and said to me 'now, that is the true meaning of a green thumb.'

Bookmark   September 13, 2006 at 12:06AM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

I've had an outbreak of aphids before, and squishing plus alcolol spray did the trick. I think this Sinn. was a bit stressed, 'cause it was *covered* in the little green beasts, and they kept coming back. I've moved the plant and potted it down, so I hope it'll be happier when it comes back -- if it comes back.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

Korina

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
Why are streps not as popular as AVs?
It occurred to me a couple months ago-when searching...
judyj
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
Looking for Streptocarpella cuttings or seeds
I live in Istanbul Turkey and looking for Streptocarpella...
zuhalzeren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™