alpinia purpurata

brugnutMarch 24, 2004

Hi, I'm new on this forum and I was hoping that you could help me. I just bought a large alpinia labelled purpurata, Red. I searched and all the pictures I see have leaves that are green top and bottom. What I have is green on top and maroon (gorgeous maroon) on the underside. I love this plant. Can someone here help me identify it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cactusfreak(7)

Does your leaves look like the link below.? This is of a Hedychium greenii. The leaves are very dark maroon underneath. I can't seem to find a picture that shows the leaves, since the link I usually use is not working right now.
There is an Alpina called Blueberry with maroon leaves I will post the link after this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hedychium greenii

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 2:30AM
cactusfreak(7)

This is the other ginger with purple leave undersides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alpinia coeralea

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 2:44AM
brugnut

Thank you cactusfreak, the second one, coeralia, looks close to what I have, the greenii leaves are too light green. I appreciate the help. Off to do a bit of research.

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 1:00PM
brugnut

I think I found it at Enid's. It looks like the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: NSE

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 1:27PM
TimChapman(Z8 Louisiana)

There is a very easy way to tell if you have a Zingiber and not one of the other gingers listed. On the undersides of the leaves where the leaf attaches to the stem there will be a lump, usually lighter color than the rest of the stem. This pulvinous as its called is only found on Zingiber species. If you look at the picture from Enid's that you linked to, you can see these features.

Tim Chapman

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 3:48PM
brugnut

Thank you Tim, I just went and looked at my plant. Although mine isn't as mature as the NSE plant there is a bump about 1/4inch below the base of the leaf and lighter in color. Would that be it?

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 4:33PM
raregingers(z9a LA)

I find the Zingiber vinosum that Enid sells has a distinct DARK sortof Camo green too it, more so than the other common Gingers with red underneath on the leaves. Not very technical on this one, but a good description of it if you've seen the vinosum in person.
Scott

Bookmark   March 25, 2004 at 7:07PM
bihai(zone 9)

I have the vinosum and love it. The red is beautiful.

Bookmark   March 26, 2004 at 6:50AM
FletcherChristian(B.C. Canada)

Hello. New to the forum. I'm amost certain (?) that the plant you have is the: Stromanthe Sanguinea (Marantacea). Link to photo: http://www.alohatropicals.com/StromantheaGingersFamilys.html
I purchased the plant at Minter's Garden Centre about a month ago, but the tag called it a 'Zingiber alpina purpurata' (kinda covers all the bases I guess =). Saw it there more than a year ago, but waited 'til the %50 off sale. Now it's mine....ha ha!! j/k. It is beautiful though. Hope this helps!

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 12:44PM
More Discussions
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
Northern Middle Tennessee Ginger, What Kind?
I would very much like to start a hot bed for ginger...
HobHoggins
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
book: Gingers of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore?
Hello, I'm looking for information about torch ginger...
shahart
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™