Hedychium Longicornutum

HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5April 25, 2014

This is the second year I've had this plant and I'd forgotten it was a winter bloomer. I was surprised to find it developing buds several months ago. They took forever to open.

I know this forum doesn't see much activity these days, but thought I'd post anyway.

Hope everyone has a great growing season!
Bob in Indiana

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jamesmaloy

Bob, That is a gorgeous bloom, so unusual. How tall did it grow before the flower scapes formed? Nice to have winter flowers. Does it multiply well for you? Thanks for sharing. And you are dead on about this forum not being active. It was my favorite but I have read every post and not much new.
James in Florida

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 1:20AM
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5

James,

The plant is only about 2' tall for me, growing in an orchid bark mix. I'm so used to the terrestrial hedychiums, that it seems really small. It has about two new shoots coming up right now, so I can't say I'm growing it that well. The old shoots stopped growing late last fall and sat there until buds formed at the tips mid-winter. It doesn't like the cold and I'm sure it would be a lot happier at your house!

Bob

Bookmark   April 26, 2014 at 8:21AM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Hedychium Longicornutum is an epiphyte. Bob, you've chosen the correct potting meduim. I've had this hedychium for years and it is a very reliable bloomer in the spring each year. It is one of the few hedychiums that carries no scent. It is very cold tender and likes some morning sun but doesn't like mid day sun. It's a real show stopper. Congrats on getting it to bloom.

Steve

Bookmark   April 28, 2014 at 8:53AM
MariaTR(9b)

I am looking to buy the Hedychium Longicornutum. Where do you buy your gingers? I'm also interested in the Red Torch Ginger.

Thank you for any help.

I am in Orlando, Fl zone 9B

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 3:35PM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

i bought mine off of eBay. The seller is Alohatrading. In fact, right now he is offering one. This ebayer is from Florida I think. There is a nursery in California with a similar name, Aloha Tropicals. They usually have this hedychium in stock. I believe this is a solid zone 10 plant. I keep mine in a pot in the greenhouse during the winter.

Steve

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
book: Gingers of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore?
Hello, I'm looking for information about torch ginger...
shahart
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
free ginger
i have 1 acre of ginger that i must thin out they are...
jerry39
Are Cardamom rhizomes edible?
I bought a cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) plant this...
PhyllostachysSam
Grocery store ginger is sprouting
Hey all - I have a ginger on my dining table that I...
a_shau
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™