Hedychium 'Tahitian Flame'

grrrnthumb(z8 WA)April 26, 2008

I have 3 very small starts of this one & I'm wondering if anyone can tell me anything about it. Especially hardiness, full-sun tolerance (they're variegated), and drainage/moisture requirements. Also would be interested in to know if anyone has any tips for overwintering them (I'm assuming it's not winter hardy in my wet zone 8a).

Many thanks!

- Tom

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

If you send me one of your starts, I'll give you some advice. LOL. Seriously, this is related to H. Dr. Moy and should have the same growth characteristics. I will give you my conditions here on the Louisnana Gulf Coast for Dr. Moy. It won't take the full sun of the south. Goes completely dormant in the fall after the first frost. Returns in the spring reliably. Last 5 years, our lows have been in the mid 20's a day or two each winter. I grow it in a southern exposure but I really think this ginger would be hardy to zone 8 or maybe 7 with lots of protection. Good luck with this one. By the way, where did you acquire this ginger. I would like to get some.

Steve

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 3:21PM
geosdee(Zone 8 FL Panhandle)

Steve,

I got mine from ebay. seller is beloved1 = Alice Harris from Karchesky Cannas and she has a website

Dee

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 4:43PM
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

Thanks Dee, I'll check that out.

Steve

Bookmark   April 30, 2008 at 5:08PM
More Discussions
container growing
What size pots are best for growing Hedychium?
shane11
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Grocery store ginger is sprouting
Hey all - I have a ginger on my dining table that I...
a_shau
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™