Michelia x alba cutting

karyn1(7a)October 18, 2006

I took a cutting of Michelia x alba and surprisingly it rooted. Now what do I do with it? I was told that it can't be grown outside in my zone. Can it be successfully grown to blooming size in a container, protected in a greenhouse during the winter? If so how long before it reaches blooming size? The piece I rooted was a small branch off the main trunk. I love the smell of the flowers but don't want to waste my time if it won't eventually bloom.

Karyn

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

It's worth a celebration for rooting alba. I was told many times that the only way of propagating alba is by air layering.

The alba can be kept in a container for sure, I live in Ottawa, Canada. Far colder than your zone. I am keeping an 8 feet tall Alba in a sunroom, growing like weeds and the fragrance is overwhelming. I have to prune it soon. It blooms profusely in a relatively small size. If you have a green house, it's going to love it. The only trick is the perfect drain, use clay pot if you can. Don't overwater and don't let the root gets too cold. If the mother plant has reached flowering size, I would say you are going to see flowers next winter time.

What did you do to get it rooted? I am to lazy to air layer so many twigs.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 3:44PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

I was shocked when I saw that it had rooted. I'd heard it could only be propagated by air layering also. I just dipped the twig in rooting powder, put it in a pot covered with a plastic bag and set it on a heating mat. The kind you use for seed germination. Two months later there were roots coming from the bottom of the pot and new leaves growing.

Bookmark   October 20, 2006 at 9:44PM
More Discussions
Randia ruiziana (Angel of the Night) flower bud?
I don't know but I sure hope so! I've been noticing...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Hamamelis mollis
I have a new spot under a huge cedar that has been...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Pruning Honeysuckle??
I have a wonderful fence full of honeysuckle. It is...
womanhead
Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit
I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of...
dbarron
Blooming in March!
Osmanthus fragrans decided to show off a few blooms...
true_blue
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™