No streps in stores here in Fresno, CA

Cabarb(Z 9- Fresno, CA)September 29, 2004

I am wondering why it's so hard to find streps in gardening stores, nurseries, - at least here in Fresno, CA. You can always find AV, but no streps. They are just so beautiful.... My 10 little babies (from Rob's Violet) are doing just fine. I keep checking on them every couple hours to make sure they haven't bloomed! hahaha...that will be awhile I think! Maybe I should open a Strep store here in Fresno, you think??

Barb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

The reason why you can't find streps in stores in Fresno is that none of the wholesale growers are producing streps now. They try them from time to time and we sometimes get some nice ones, but streps have a problem that makes them more difficult to commercialize--they are delicate and do not ship well. Also, their flowers wilt or break or fall off and the plants need to be groomed to sell. It is true that they are spectacular with a little effort, but we are talking about huge growers who just don't have the skilled labor to get the plants from the greenhouses, to the stores in condition to sell easily. Its not that bad though--I am overstating the problem. Growers do streps from time to time. I recently heard that one of the big growers was looking for strep propagations to grow on in mass. They apparently didn't have anyone who could propagate them but wanted to buy small started "plugs" to grow on. So, there is interest.

The biggest wholesale grower, Nurserymen's Exchange in Half Moon Bay once grew streps with their own labels, calling them "Victorian Violets". That lasted about a year or two before they gave up.

I always look to see if streps are in the stores but I haven't seen them in quite a while. I am hoping that one of our newer growers like Annies Annuals will take them up.

Jon

Bookmark   September 30, 2004 at 2:12PM
robitaillenancy1(zone 5)

If you keep asking every nursery you go into for streps maybe the owners will think about buying a few.

There is a new operation in Quebec City which buys tissue culture streps mostly from Dibley's. They sale wholesale so you have to buy in quantity and the postage will be enormous.

www.info@primfleurs.com

Nancy

Bookmark   September 30, 2004 at 10:51PM
Linda_Lorraine(z5 E. WA)

What happened to the streps from Oglevee?

Bookmark   October 7, 2004 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Finally got the strep seeds I ordered online
Hi everyone, so I got the strep seeds this morning,...
philpet
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™