shrub ID help, sory no photo, plant got cut down!

berklady(z9 ca)October 8, 2005

I konow that it's very hard to ID w/out a photo, but I smelled this flower on a shrub and went back a week or so later to take a photo, and the whole plant was cut to the ground! It had leaves and size (about4' tall) similar to common hydrangeas, dark green, with woody stems. The flowers were ball clusters of 100 or so small (1/4 in) star shaped dark pink flowers. The whole cluster was about 3 inches diameter. The petals felt very waxy and stiff, like the globe could be grabbed and not lose any of it's shape. I smelled it in the middle of the day, and it was very fragrant, sweet.I live in the sf bay area. Any guesses would be great! Thanks a ton, Berklady

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ariel73(z9FL)

I am trying to think of frant plants that have a ball custer of flowers.
Here is a few I can think of off the top of my head
Plumeria
Ixoria
Dombeya

all of the above come in different colors so if you see something similiar let me know and maybe it will give me a better idea of what you saw.

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 8:40PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

It sounds like an Ixora to me. Do a google.com search for Ixora and see if that's it.

Bookmark   October 8, 2005 at 9:02PM
CoolPlants

Most ixora are not fragrant. Perhaps a Viburnum carlseii? Not sure of the spelling but it's a more of a northern one.
kevin

Bookmark   October 9, 2005 at 4:10PM
berklady(z9 ca)

Thanks for the help, sorry i haven't gotten online since i posted my question. It looks most like an ixora out of all of the suggestions so far, but you know how ixoras flowers form a half dome? well this plants flowers were in a globe shape, but stiff, waxy petals like ixora. I think its too cold here for ixora, and this plant was very fragrant and a dark pink. Any further guesses? Thanks a lot,berklady

Bookmark   October 11, 2005 at 10:47PM
jeff_al

perhaps clerodendrum bungei

Here is a link that might be useful: clerodendrum

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 11:20AM
berklady(z9 ca)

HORRAY! Jeff al, you've solved the mystery- thanks you so much! And thanks to all who aided in the treasure hunt. Now to search for a place in Berkeley (SF bay area), Ca that's got clerodendrum bungei for cheap.

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 11:34AM
jeff_al

even though fragrant and pretty, be aware that it suckers vigorously and is not considered a good plant for a small garden. prepare to defend the surrounding flower beds!

Bookmark   October 12, 2005 at 12:11PM
More Discussions
I'm looking for Aglaia odorata or Chloranthus spicatus.
Hi, I live in Poland and I'm looking for Aglaia odorata...
8hydroxyquinoline
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Suggestions for Southern CA Zone 9b
Hi All, After my first of gardening, I have discovered...
KJMM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™