Streptocarpus Sprouting from Roots

dave_in_virginia(z7a VA)September 9, 2013

About 15 months ago, I put down several leaf sections of Dibley's Hannah in a peat/perlite mix in a 4" square pot. When 4-5 plantlets appeared and the leaf sections rotted away, I left all to grow on together. This pot has now been blooming for many months and was looking like it was overdue for some TLC. In removing the plant mass from the pot, I found a number of green "buds" on some of the roots near the bottom of the pot, and a 1" long leaflet trying to surface in one corner of the pot. Given that this is my only strep, I want to ask more experienced growers how common these root sprouts are. I have read nothing of this in the course of a fair amount of reading on strep culture.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

It happens. Not to all varieties, but I see these root suckers quite often.
Dibleys used S.kentaniensis in their hybridization to keep the size of the plant compact and extend the blooming season. Crystal series are quite close to S.kentaniensis. Do not know about "Hannah" for sure - but being close to the species probably increases the ability to propagate in this manner. I would say - the same varieties that create lots of baskets - new plantets on the flower stalks also produce root suckers.

I.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:36PM
dave_in_virginia(z7a VA)

Thanks, Irina. I recently added eleven new streps purchased from Dennis Miller to my "collection of one" so have an even dozen. As these grow and bloom, you can expect more questions from me.

Bookmark   September 10, 2013 at 9:40PM
taxonomist3

Dave,

As Irina said it does happen. This is a plant of Dale Marten's Texas Hot Chili which was doing the same thing when I went to repot her a little while ago.

Chris

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 8:24AM
Wild_Rose_of_VA

I have Nerys, which is a Dibley's variety, and it does this as well. I have even had plantlets sprout from the drain holes in a pot of Nerys. No other varieties I have do this.

Karen

Bookmark   September 14, 2013 at 12:43AM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Great thread. I have several from Dennis Miller and they are all great plants and have bloomed continually. I also have Texas Hot Chili and Nerys, so was glad to see the input on those.
Chris, thanks for that great picture.

Bookmark   September 20, 2013 at 12:19PM
More Discussions
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
WANT: Anyone have any lipstick plant cuttings to trade for postag
Im looking for lipstick plant cuttings. I cant find...
tlbean2004
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™