Curcuma elata 'Giant Plume

lightGreenThumb(9 LA)May 30, 2004

I recently ordered some bulbs of giant plume along with Curcuma alismatifolia (Siam Tulip) and a Shell ginger.

I had no idea that the giant plumes got up to 8 ft tall! The site listed them as 2 - 3 ft tall, but with further reasearch I found out differently. I am considering using them for a screen now. Will they be ok in full sun, mostly from the East?

I live in Sulphur, LA near Lake Charles if that helps.

I'm also wondering if either of these ginger will bloom this year. I know I will be planting them late, but they should be here in a few days.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jessiep(9tex.)

I have some of these and they grow very tall.About 6 or 8 feet tall.The flowers bloom before the leaves come out.If you just bought yours do not look for blooms this year.I dug mine up and thinned them and they did not bloom this year.Mine is planted under a oak tree.Jessie

Bookmark   May 30, 2004 at 8:37PM
lightGreenThumb(9 LA)

Thanks for your response, Jessie. I was thinking of putting them in full sun to provide a screen, but it sounds like they could use some shade. I finally got the bulbs in and am making my final decisions as to where they should be placed.

Bookmark   June 13, 2004 at 10:27PM
lightGreenThumb(9 LA)

Does anyone have experience with these in full sun? Can they handle it?

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 8:39AM
raregingers(z9a LA)

I have a stand of them in all out Louisiana full sun, and they are the best bloomers and get HUGE. I don't know if anyone else is growing them this way but they have done fine in full sun for me.
Scott

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
ginger forum
Ginger or ginger root is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber...
spageopriya
Help with Ginger ID please
Hi everyone - I live on the east coast of Australia...
splinter1804
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
ginger dormancy -- detailed desired
This topic was brought up in the Vegetable Gardening...
daninthedirt
Northern Middle Tennessee Ginger, What Kind?
I would very much like to start a hot bed for ginger...
HobHoggins
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™