HELP ! I need Streptocarpus advice....

patrickalan(Zone 6/NJ)October 10, 2004

Hi,
I am new to Streps, and have some plants recently acquired (From Ebay). The plants are young, in solo/deli cups, not in bud, and appear to me to be very fragile. I'm not sure what care they need at this stage - I'm not used to dealing with such young, immature plants....My African Violets of course are always purchased locally and in full bloom.....
but the care of these Streps is the same????
I don't want to kill these young plants...
Can anyone offer some advice on caring for these young recently acquired plants....
Isn't there any place to buy fully grown Streptocarpus plants????

Thanks,
ALAN
New Jersey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mwedzi(chicago)

Hi Alan,

There was a post a little while ago about general strep care, a few pages down. I've made a link to it below. It will be difficult to buy fully grown plants mail order because they are generally too big to ship without receiving a lot of damage. If you are lucky you might find some in a high quality local nursery. You might also try sales from gesneriad plant groups. There's one in your area at the Frelinghuysen (sp?) arboretum next month. Actually I think it's an African violet society but they will surely sell streps as well. Usually those aren't huge either, though. Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Discussion on basic strep care

Bookmark   October 10, 2004 at 4:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maggie99(8)

When I have very young or variegated streps, I water from the outside in.....I water to the outside of the pot, not directly to the plant and let it soak into the rest...streps do not like to be overwatered, and will rot when they are really small very quickly. If I have not been clear just give a holler and I will try and explain better. I also do this with my young Chirita's, these 2 seem more sensitive of water than the rest of the gessies.

Maggie

Bookmark   October 11, 2004 at 1:29AM
More Discussions
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
Looking for Streptocarpella cuttings or seeds
I live in Istanbul Turkey and looking for Streptocarpella...
zuhalzeren
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
Streps
Aloha, I live on the big island 300 ft. from the ocean,...
Venutia
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™