Novice Columnea repotting question

dorisbb(6 PA)October 4, 2008

I just acquired two columneas in 2-inch pots: one microphylla and one Broget Stavanger. The date on the labels is 3/25, which I assume means that I should repot them now. Here's my query: My house is kept very cool and will be getting cooler as the autumn progresses. The plants are under lights in my bedroom, which is the coolest place in the house but happens to be where my quarantine light stand is located. Also, frankly, I don't think I'm a very competent repotter. Will repotting them now pose a danger? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
larry_b(Zone5/CO)

Hi,

Columneas repot quite well. Because the plants are so small and so new I would use the following method to repot them. First take the columeas completely out of the two inch pots being very careful to preserve the root ball. Then take your new pot and put the old pot inside the new pot. Put potting soil between the old pot and new pot being sure that the new pot's lip is at the same height as the old pot's lip. When you're done you will have a mold into which you can put the old root ball.

Good luck,

Larry

Bookmark   October 4, 2008 at 6:13PM
dorisbb(6 PA)

Dear Larry:

What a great idea! Thank you so much.

Doris

Bookmark   October 5, 2008 at 5:52AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

And columneas like it cold - it stimulates their blooming. Guess that it simulates the change of the season for them.

I.

Bookmark   October 6, 2008 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Anybody Specializing in Fragrant Streps?
I posted some time ago about fragrant streps and was...
treehugger101
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
On growing streps larger...?
Today I was wondering if the same effect of disbudding...
judyj
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
Problems with a strep
Hi Folks, Thought I'd post this here. Of five streps...
judyj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™