Ylang Ylang question

angelsmell(Fullerton, CA 1)October 12, 2006

I have a Ylang Ylang tree that I ordered from Florida about 2 years ago, I live in So California, It's about 5ft now. Does anyone know when this tree wil start blooming? Please describe the scent of the flowers I have never smelled one. If you have any pictures of yours please post. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

Well, I will tell you what I have seen/smelled. I have seen a tree about 7 ft tall (well branched) blooming. I have some 5 ft tall, no bloom yets. The scent of the flowers is very strong and very perfumy. It is not sweet or fruity- it is like a woman's perfume. The scent will travel 200 yards or more, it stays with the picked flower for days. Overwhelming after a while, but great in smaller doses.
-Gwenn

Bookmark   October 15, 2006 at 6:46PM
yellowthumb(5a Ontario)

Hi angelsmell,

You are in a better situation than I do. I also have a ylang ylang tree 5 feet tall, no bloom yet. I hope that I could see any. I live in Ottawa, Canada. Climatly challenged. At least you could leave your tree outside much longer. I moved my tree indoors a month ago, now it lost lots of leaves. But this is just the begining of the winter. The poor thing has to wait another 7 months to get outside again.

Bookmark   October 19, 2006 at 2:37PM
bsantosh(9)

Just to let you know my Artabotrys odoratissimus has started blooming for first time this year. This is a vine ylang ylang. I picked the 1st flower too soon I guess. It was still green at that time. I did not get any fragrance. Second flower is still there and growing bigger. I tried several times but could not get Cananga O to survive in my area.

Bookmark   October 23, 2006 at 6:45PM
angelsmell(Fullerton, CA 1)

Well it's now 6 months later, I have appearing on a couple of my branches little green like leaves, could this be blossoms or do you think it's new leaves coming in for Spring? It's still about 5 ft tall. Does anyone else have info on when their Ylang Ylang tree started to bloom?

Bookmark   April 8, 2007 at 12:02PM
orchids41

I had a Ylang-Ylang tree when I lived in South Florida. The flowers are green and look like leaves...easy to miss unless you're really looking for them. Your plant is certainly large enough to bloom. Enjoy!

Bookmark   April 11, 2007 at 8:53PM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

Yes- you may get some flowers. My tree is about 6 ft tall and about 2 months ago the same thing happened. At each leaf, a new growth developed. Most were branches with leaves, but some were flowers. I now have some seeds developing.

Bookmark   April 12, 2007 at 8:33AM
scenter

For the odor part of your question:

The characteristic odor of Ylang is from a chemical called Methyl para-Cresol. By itself, this chemical smells in the direction of Band-Aids and hospital cleaners, but combined with the other items in Ylang Oil it provides a sultry warmth and exotic richness to a Jasmine like fragrance base.

When the flowers of Ylang-Ylang are distilled, the essences are divided into 4 parts called: Extra, No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3. The 'Extra' is the lightest and the 'No. 3' is the heaviest.

That's probably TMI, but I hope it answers your question.

Bookmark   April 18, 2007 at 5:26PM
Serinus(11)

The fragrance is a deep "Narcotic" floral very similar to jasmine and ripe bananas. It has a very strong aldehyde note during the evening. The trees can bloom very young even in a large tub. Can grow quite fast!

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 1:01PM
More Discussions
Chimonanthus Praecox Wintersweet in Zone 6?
The Chinese Winterswwet (Chimonanthus Praecox) is listed...
redsun9
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Help badly timed pruning.
Help! The Neighbour has SEVERLY 'pruned' a jasmine...
logo
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu'
I bought three large plants because I read about their...
KJMM
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™