It's baaccckkkk! Z. Midnight!!!

bihai(zone 9)June 9, 2004

My Zingiber Midnight that I thought was toast planted out in the ground has returned! Its coming back up at the same time as Zingiber Milky Way, the Kaempherias and the globbas. I guess this means its at least hardy for one season of freezes, will have to see how many winters it holds out in the ground.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mark9ze

It is awesome when things like this happen: almost like the birth of a child.....

Bookmark   June 12, 2004 at 4:34AM
annafl(z9b/10a Sarasota)

Bihai, mine started coming back about six weeks ago or so. Of course, it is a bit warmer here than in your neck of the woods. It is still fairly small.

Anna

Bookmark   June 14, 2004 at 3:49PM
ricfl(z9bFL)

I'm in St pete and my Z. Midnight never went dormant. But in the last 5 weeks, its put out a lot of new growth.
When do they put out a bloom??

Bookmark   June 15, 2004 at 5:27PM
DirtyFingernails(AL 8)

My midnight has been up for about 2 weeks. I'm in Mobile, AL, zone 8b/9a. The rhizomes that I wintered in the greenhouse have only been up for about 1 week. Plan to put all of it in the ground this year.

Hopefully next year I'll be screaming....'It's everywhere!'

DirtyFingernails

Bookmark   June 17, 2004 at 1:43PM
Jujam(8/9)

Well no sign of life in my midnight - I thought maybe it would still come back because just last week my ground orchids that I thought I'd lost suddenly decided to wake up and shown signs of life - so I will never plant in ground again. The midnight I have will be kept in a pot and transferred to greenhouse during those cold months.

Bookmark   June 18, 2004 at 6:08AM
Jujam(8/9)

Regina - great news - had a moment to look over beds today and low and behold my midnight is coming back - it is only about 3 inches now but has broken thru the mulch and is reaching for the sky!!!!!! I can't believe it.

Bookmark   July 17, 2004 at 7:50PM
More Discussions
Heliconias in zone 9A?
I live in Barcelona (Spain) a Mediterranean zone similar...
barna
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
free ginger
i have 1 acre of ginger that i must thin out they are...
jerry39
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™