White fungus on jasmine

CharlycaraOctober 16, 2004

We have a white jasmine plant and after about 2 weeks we noticed a white fungus like growth all over the plant.WThe areas affected by this seem to be in very poor health. There have been no flowers on it since we got it home in late September. It is an inside plant.Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mehitabel(z6 MO)

Hi, Charlycara. Sounds like powdery mildew. This is the result of a plant being in a too-dim and too-airless place in the house. Jasmine need sun.

Spray your plant with a fungicide, Safer's fungicide is good. Or you can also use a spray of baking soda diluted in water. I think the formula is 1 tablspoon of baking soda to a gallon of water. Add a drop of dishwashing liquid as a wetting agent.

But you also have to move the plant to a better spot, nearer the sun and nearer a fan or a window that's opened now and then.

If you can stop the spread and give the plant a better spot, it should recover.

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 17, 2004 at 2:58AM
Charlycara

Thanks

Bookmark   October 22, 2004 at 8:10PM
boojam(08876)

Hi Charlycara - did the solution work on the fungus? i had similar problems with two of my jasmine plants and one died. the other one is limping along. have to keep it indoors here in jersey during the winter!

thanks!

Bookmark   March 21, 2005 at 5:20PM
jview(Z7a NY)

Charlycara, Are you familiar with mealy bug? At fist glance it looks more like a fungus than a bug. you might be able to get a picture of it on google. If that is what it is, then using denatured alcohol on a q-tip (probably several times) should get rid of them. Jerry

Bookmark   March 22, 2005 at 12:23PM
schiang68(z6 MA)

Thanks for the tip, Jerry. I have them on my sambac, but I didn't know what they were called. Rubbing alcohol seems to kill them pretty well, though I'm finding that I have to do several treatments to keep the stuff from coming back.

Check out the photo of the mealybug predator on this OSU link (photo 6). It looks more intimidating than the pest.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU mealybug page

Bookmark   July 19, 2005 at 5:42PM
More Discussions
Fragrant book reviews!
I was all in love with my latest fragrant book that...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Blooming in February! We are late!!!
It is almost spring, why hasn't a thread on Blooming...
rubyjchang
Blooming in December!
Thanks to True-Blue for reminding me we're in a new...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Can someone ID this for me please!
I saw it in a Youtube video, but I couldn't make out...
earlisbubba
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™