What's Living in my Garden?

jmzms(z7 Alpharetta, GA)May 23, 2010

So my garden has been neglected and everything is overgrown. Today was my day to go clean it up. I get to the bed that has my lettuce that is way past due to be pulled out, so I start yanking. As I pull it up, I see a clump of pinestraw and thought "what's that doing there?" and pull it out. Then there's more and without thinking I grab it. Then I see it....a small brown fuzzy creature curled up. Freaked out, I exit the garden. After all, it must be a rat's nest (Lord knows I've had my fair share of those critters around). And I've seen far too many movies where disturbed creatures jump out and attack your face, so no way was I doing anything else by myself.

I go get my neighbor to help me. I'll dig it out, but I want someone there to call the ambulance when the rabid rat attacks me. We start pulling back the rest of the nest and sure enough, he's still in there. Along with a few of his siblings.

But it wasn't a rat at all. It was baby bunnies!!!! Mama rabbit made her nest in the grocery store. Quite convenient for her. Quite inconvenient for me. :)

Oh well, I guess I'll plant around the nest. And certainly, I'll have to plant extra as there are now more mouths to feed. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardinera75

jmzms - you had me laughing here at work when I read your post mostly because I would have reacted the same way!

Bookmark   May 24, 2010 at 12:38PM
pam_3(GA 7b)

heehee! bunnies are a much better find than rats, even tho they eat a lot. Or maybe they're just a cuter find. Glad they didn't attack your face. That made me laugh! All I'm finding are slugs and snakes. bleh!

Bookmark   May 25, 2010 at 10:23AM
jbrickm

I too found a set of baby rabbits today. They were cuddled up behind a set of mulch bags that I had piled up under my deck. One of them tried to walk and ended up rolling over. Funny in a cute kind of way.

Bookmark   May 26, 2010 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Dracaena Massangeana - leaves are turning yellow and then brown!!
Hello, I bought a Dracaena Massangeana plant about...
daniel159
Hi, I am lost with the new site.
Hi, can someone please direct me to the Swap/ trade...
organic_gardenhag
Landscape plant suggestions please Eatonton/Milledgeville, GA
Greetings All, My husband and I have purchased a property...
motherofdog
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
pomegranates
UGA's website said that most named pomegranates do...
esthermgr
Sponsored Products
12' Red Cedar Camelot Double Rail Bridge
Fifthroom.com
Garden Party Table
| Dot & Bo
Beau Jardin 14 1/2" Wide Rose Gold Pendant
Lamps Plus
Garden Party | Wall Outdoor Wall Light
YLighting
Meadow Outdoor Bronze Indoor - Outdoor Floor Fountain
Lamps Plus