Calatheas - What a find! - Now to ID them

rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)June 4, 2005

We got some really cool Calatheas today at a little mom-n-pop nursery. Of course, not an ID tag to be found! We're just starting to ID them, but if anyone has any ideas to get us looking in the right direction ...

Thanks!

-Ray

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TimChapman(Z8 Louisiana)

may have some id'ed photos of the rest too but, the following should be somewhat right..

1 'Medallion'
3 'corona'
4 'cynthia'
6 C. fasciata

Tim Chapman

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 7:33PM
LisaCLV(HI)

Boy, I used to know this stuff, but that was back before they started making hybrids. Based on a quick websearch:

#2- C. picturata vandenheckii
#3- C.'Corona'
#4- C.'Mia'
#5- C. roseo-picta

Not sure of the others.

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 7:54PM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

Thanks for the feedback. We're well on our way to some good IDs!

-Ray

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 6:54PM
buzzybee

#7 Wilson's Princep

Bookmark   June 11, 2005 at 11:26PM
birdinthepalm

I love the calatheas, and have had success growing regular Marantas over the years, but when it comes to the Calatheas, I've not been so successful. I have good humidity through the cold winter months indoors, and fairly warm conditions, but mine seem to go quickly downhill. I'm just wondering, if they prefer to go quite dry between waterings and I've just been overwatering them.
Also, mine get quite bright light, and I'm just wondering indeed, if they do prefer much lower light to do well. In general I've always found that most of those so called "low light plants, really do prefer bright indirect light to stay healthy and make good growth, but I guess with some, bright light may not be a good idea. As far a naming the varieties , I'm sorry I can't help in that regard.

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 6:16AM
rayandgwenn(z11 Puerto Rico)

Birdinthepalm-

I can't offer many tips on growing Calatheas inside or under lights. But I can offer observations from growing them outside here in PR ...

* in the summer, temps where we live peak at low to mid-90s with nights dropping to maybe mid-70s to low-80s

* "winter" temps top out at low to mid-80s, with nights getting as low as 60

* we have an almost constant breeze

* humidity varies between 50% and 95%

* our calatheas seem to prefer lots of water, but we make sure they don't stay "wet". They never completely dry out between waterings.

* most of our calatheas are growing in shade (under tables). Some of them (notably Undulata and Loesneri) lose coloration when they get too much light. Many of them get crispy with too much light.

* we've noticed that those in more shade tend to be bigger, healthier, and have better coloration.

Hope this helps

-Ray

Bookmark   June 19, 2005 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Help with Ginger ID please
Hi everyone - I live on the east coast of Australia...
splinter1804
Watering my Siam Tulip
I found these beauties at our Lowes and HAD to have...
shelemiahisback
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover (9A Inverness)
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™