still waiting on a sign

Joan_in_AL(7AL)June 8, 2005

I ordered ginger roots.. it has been a month.. are they still alive? How long does it take them to root?

it was Hawaiian pink ginger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
curdog007

who did you order from?
Lynn

Bookmark   June 8, 2005 at 10:05PM
LisaCLV(HI)

Did you get a plantlet with foliage or a bare-root rhizome? How big? Pink Ginger (Alpinia purpurata) doesn't have a dormancy, at least not in Hawaii, and it doesn't have the same kind of fleshy running rhizome that, say, a hedychium has, so I'm trying to picture how it was sold to you if it wasn't an actively growing plant. The little plantlets (aerial offsets from the inflorescence) should root readily, but there's not really much rhizome there, so if it looks dead, it probably is. If, however, what you got looked like a big chunk of stem with a swollen base and the foliage cut back, it might take a bit longer to see some action. As long as the stem still looks firm, it's probably still good. I'd give it at least another month, and if you don't see anything happening by then you might have to unpot it and investigate. It should at least be putting out some roots, even if you haven't seen a new shoot yet.

Bookmark   June 9, 2005 at 12:05AM
wanna_run_faster

Joan,

Did you ever find any roots?

Bookmark   June 25, 2005 at 5:03PM
More Discussions
Heliconias in zone 9A?
I live in Barcelona (Spain) a Mediterranean zone similar...
barna
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™