Hedychium coronarium-- north-facing recessed balcony

chloeashaJuly 28, 2012

Hi all! I have a bit of space in a very large pot which has opened up on my balcony. It is north-facing and recessed, so I see very little direct sunlight. The rest of the time it is bright shade. I was curious as to if Hedychium coronarium (or any ginger) would really do well here? I'm in the Delta region, so a very long, hot season is normal. My oriental lilies do pretty well in the lighting if that helps as a comparison. Since my space is so limited, I have to consider what will do well. I love the idea of a scented fall bloomer and we should be warm enough to overwinter the ginger outside. The pot I would place it in is a circular 24"x30" pot, so a decent size. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kasha77

I am in 7b NC and have mine in a north eastern situation and they are doing well. They have spread nicely and are blooming now. I would suggest that you water them so they won't brown. Your situation sound perfect!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 8:21AM
chloeasha

Thank you so much!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 4:11PM
chloeasha

Update: I purchased both H. "Dr Moy" and "Luna Moth" last summer after I posted this and plopped them into the pot. They put up some new growth, and then went dormant once they frosted mid-December (the balcony is protected from frosts until it gets into the mid-upper 20s). I felt down periodically on warm days to check the rhizomes. Everything seems good. Checked today and they are still good. They haven't come up, but I imagine it will need to be warmer for them to do that. We may have had our last frost 2 nights ago (crossing fingers), so I am hoping they realize it's spring in a bit. So i know I can grow foliage and over winter. I don't know about getting blooms yet. That remains to be seen.

Bookmark   March 8, 2013 at 4:42PM
More Discussions
Who else is growing turmeric aka curcuma longa?
I bought a bunch from a ebay vender (Indian grocery...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08
ginger forum
Ginger or ginger root is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber...
spageopriya
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™