I am hooked now!!

perle_de_or(Zone 7)November 16, 2012

All, just got my first streps in the mail. I got them from Neils Streps on eBay, sellers choice deal. The ones they sent me are Neils Jennifer, Neils Mindy Lou, Neils Freckles. I am so excited. Total newbie with them so I hope I don't kill them. There were in great condition and packaged really well too. They even had wicks. Does anyone grow these particular plants? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Taxonomist3

Best of Luck! I've been having a terrible time getting mine to flourish! I think I've come to the conclusion they need to be repotted more often than your average AV.

Bookmark   November 17, 2012 at 1:09AM
aviolet6(7)

Don't wick them and only water when dry. They are different than AVs in that way. Also when you repot they need more perlite than AVs. That's all I know. They are supposed to be easy but they don't do well for me. Search out davioletman on here. He grows them and has good info.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 10:59AM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Thanks for the tips. I had been doing some reading up on them and realized they need to be a little dryer than AVs. I will look up davioletman too.

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 2:13PM
davioletman

Perle, are you planning on growing under lights or natural light? I personally grow under lights but have done both.

There are many factors and everybody's growing conditions are different. As aviolet6 has said you will have to experiment a little to find what works for you.

It would take to long to go over everything here but if would like more info feel free to email me at czdallasfan @ yahoo.com with any questions you have. I will be more than happy to answer any and give you tips.

Aviolet6 email me as to what is going on with yours, maybe I can get you on the right path.

Perle, is you do a search on the site on streps I am pretty sure you will be able to find what I have written in the past on Streps. This can be a reference for you as well.

Dave

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 2:29PM
perle_de_or(Zone 7)

Thanks so much Dave. I am growing them in natural light with a little supplementing under a grow light since the days are short. I am learning, so watching them very closely. I am taking everyone's advice and letting them get a little dry before I water. I did do a search on your user name and read a bunch of great info and also clipped some of them to my page. When they get a little bigger I hope to propagate some leaves. Right now I have about 25 varieties of AV leaves put down, so I really enjoy experimenting with leaves and look forward to trying the strep leaves too.

Bookmark   November 20, 2012 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
When to repot a strep to a large pot?
This isn't about freshening the soil, which I do regularly...
judyj
What have we here?
Grown from a forgotten seed batch: Some kind of Kohleria...
rusty_blackhaw
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
overwinter
Hey guys, I have a Sinningia Darth Vader plant. I have...
Puchinita5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™