Pine Cone Gingers

fl_gypsyJuly 19, 2012

Hi, new to this forum, hope you don't mind my jumping in with a question. A friend gave me some pine cone ginger rhizomes years ago and I shared with my sister. She planted hers close to their septic tank and they have bloomed every year. Mine haven't even grown very tall much less bloom. I don't have soil in my yard, it's just "dirt". What sort of location do these gingers like and what kind of fertilizer should I be using. Should I use compost heavily in my dirt? Please HELP.

I have the same problem with some heliconas. Should they be treated the same as gingers? I don't see a Helicona forum so any help would be appreciated. Will also ask about these on the tropical forum. TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lac1361(z9a Lake Charles, LA)

If by pine cone ginger you are referring to Zingiber Zerumbet, then they do best in medium sun, acidic soil, and like a balanced fertilizer. I fertilize mine with a water soluble 20-20-20 twice a month but also top dress with Osmocote 14-14-14. They won't bloom until the root and rhizome mass gets enough energy. I grow a lot of different gingers, and this particular ginger took 3 years to reach bloom size, but it was worth it. The same would apply to any heliconia. Both are heavy feeders during warm months.

Steve

Bookmark   July 20, 2012 at 9:01AM
tropicbreezent

We call these Beehive Ginger. They like a rich soil and plenty of water. Probably why they're growing so well near the septic.

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 4:18AM
fl_gypsy

Thanx so much for the quick response and information.

Bookmark   July 24, 2012 at 3:26PM
More Discussions
ginger dormancy -- detailed desired
This topic was brought up in the Vegetable Gardening...
daninthedirt
Ordem genericos do Cytotec 200 mcg sem receita
CLIQUE AQUI PARA COMPRAR CYTOTEC Cytotec Genérico...
akertod
ginger forum
Ginger or ginger root is the rhizome of the plant Zingiber...
spageopriya
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™