Shade tolerant?

jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)July 12, 2005

Can anybody suggest a fragrant Hedychium that will tolerate bright shade (lots of light, no direct sun). This is in an atrium so winter temperature stays fairly warm and hardiness is not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wanna_run_faster

A ginger newbie myself...but take a look at the tread "can someone ID this hidden ginger"...This is supposed to be a bright shade ginger according to the tag. And it's been in the shade of either the banana (pictured) or an areca palm for the last couple of weeks and seems to be doing ok

Bookmark   July 12, 2005 at 5:16PM
TimChapman(Z8 Louisiana)

most hedychium will do well in areas like this, as long as they aren't in heavy shade they should be alright.

As for Curcuma alismatifolia. In too much shade it will eventually dwindle down and crap out. They look like they thrive in those conditions at first, because they get a large and fast growth spurt from the storage roots and rhizome. After they use this up there is nothing to replace it because they aren't getting enough sun.

Tim C

Bookmark   July 13, 2005 at 7:30PM
LisaCLV(HI)

We're growing C. alismatifolia in full sun, and they're doing okay. I have a feeling they'd be a bit happier in a filtered light or maybe morning sun/afternoon shade environment, but we don't have one to put them in right now, so too bad! They can take more sun than C. roscoeana and some of the others, though.

As far as hedychiums, it's hard to go wrong with H. gardnerianum, or Kahili Ginger. It's strong-looking, pretty, very fragrant, and grows even better in CA than it does here in Hawaii. I guess it depends on what part of the state you're in, though. It does really well in the Bay Area.

Bookmark   July 14, 2005 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
Are Cardamom rhizomes edible?
I bought a cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum) plant this...
PhyllostachysSam
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Grocery store ginger root
Can I buy whole ginger root at the grocery store ,plant...
lillypon22
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™