Saving Episcia after Sandy

redphal(7b)November 13, 2012

My house was out of power and heat for almost two weeks after Sandy hit, and while my other tropicals and Gesneriads weathered the cold temps and darkness OK, my poor Episcias were hit hard. I have four of them and they lost most or all of their leaves. The stems are still firm and I think the heat came back before they were fatally chilled, but I'm trying to figure out if they will recover.

If I cut them back and remove all the wilted leaves, will they regrow? How hard can they be cut back and still grow? Or is it too late for them and should I just find replacements?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
davioletman

It certainly will not hurt to try. If the stems are still firm the plant should rep sprout where the leaf joints are. If they don't over a period of time then toss them. Personally, I would not cut them back until I see growth starting. The plant has been stressed enough because of the conditions created by Sandy.

I had grown episcias in my greenhouse to night temps of 40 degrees with no ill effects. Episcias though are not cold tolerant for a long period of time. They are usually sensitive to temps 55 and under. It all depends on the variety. Some will withstand better than others.

Dave

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 9:15PM
redphal(7b)

Thanks. I did already cut some of them back, because those plants had lost all their leaves and looked totally shabby. Do you think a humidity dome would help them recover? Humidity levels are good in the house right now but I know they favor moisture.

Bookmark   November 14, 2012 at 3:07PM
lilypad22(7)

Maybe you should start them over by taking cuttings. When mine get leggy, thats what I do. You might have a better plant faster...it will possibly take a while for your plants to recover. Humidity couldn't hurt. Good thing the rest of the plants are fairing okay.

tish

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 11:11PM
redphal(7b)

Sad to say that the Episcia have all gone further downhill. Doesn't look like they're going to make it after all. :-/

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 12:04AM
lilypad22(7)

So sorry to hear that.

tish

Bookmark   November 26, 2012 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Tempted to troll on the AV forums, with my streps
But I guess I'll be nice...the streps are really loving...
dbarron
Southern exposure.
Hello, o Gesneriad people! Here's a question for ya'all--...
nmushka
Light Rack with Streps and Orchids
I just bought a rack for my succulent, strep and orchid...
treehugger101
Christmas Card Exchange ~ Who's In?
Would anyone be interested in doing a Christmas Card...
Vikki
Sponsored Products
Sarah Peyton Convection Cooled 10-inch King-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Round White Ceramic Wall Mounted Toilet
TheBathOutlet
Personalized Lazy Susan - MAPLE
$198.00 | Horchow
Ango | Ebony Sky Floor Lamp
YLighting
Ball Hugger Ceiling Fan with Optional Light by Modern Fan Company
$316.00 | Lumens