Etlingera Elatior

ShawnaTX(7)July 26, 2012

Hi garden lovers!

I have been trying to propagate Etlingera Elatior seeds but it seems that 2 attempts came with no result. I don't want to give up yet so I am here to see if anyone have ever succeeded grow them. Any tips and tricks are welcome. i hope to get it germinate before this summer is end. Any replies is appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

I got some on Ebay previously but they didn't germinate. Don't know if they were too old, or just something I did wrong. Some people say you need to soak them before planting. Good luck.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 8:38PM
ShawnaTX(7)

Hi Tropicbreezeb
I soaked them overnight and then put them in the pot with sandy loose soil, wrap the pot with plastic as someone suggested on youtube video to keep the soil moist. But it did not do anything.

Bookmark   July 28, 2012 at 1:13PM
tropicbreezent

Putting them on top of the refrigerator works for keeping them warm for germination. But I gave up and ended up getting some plants. I already had the red so I got some whites. They're really beautiful when they flower.

Bookmark   August 3, 2012 at 7:02AM
ShawnaTX(7)

Hmm that is a good idea. Will try it, though for now I try placing them on a wet napkin in a ziploc bag together with my dragon fruit seeds. Two of dragon fruit seeds are sprouting. By the way where did you get the EE plants from?

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 8:36PM
More Discussions
Heliconias in zone 9A?
I live in Barcelona (Spain) a Mediterranean zone similar...
barna
ginger dormancy -- detailed desired
This topic was brought up in the Vegetable Gardening...
daninthedirt
Who else is growing turmeric aka curcuma longa?
I bought a bunch from a ebay vender (Indian grocery...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover (9A Inverness)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™