Oo-oo, lookee what I just got!

korina(9b, Sunset 17)November 28, 2005

I've never heard of it, but it was just *SO* cute! And it was on sale!

Korina, feeling very fashionable

Here is a link that might be useful: Gesneria cuneifolia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dma1979

Korina, Gesnerias and especially G. cuneifolia have been in cultivation for a number of years having been collected from Puerto Rica. In recent years, there have been a few species introduced which grow larger and some which thrive with less humidity. I grow Gesneria rupincola (which is almost always in flower) in the open on my plant stand. The flowers are also orange, but a different tone than G. cuneifolia. Another species I have grown for many years open, is G. cuneifolia 'Tom Talpey' named for the man who collected it in the wild. These flowers are more orange/red. It also is very floriferous. Gesnerias need to be constantly wet and are not very forgiving when allowed to dry out. I have found that they grow best for me in a mix with the same amount of dolomite lime I use for Streptocarpus.
Enjoy your Gesneria!

Marilyn

Bookmark   November 28, 2005 at 7:47PM
jon_d(Northern Calif.)

With the 'too many plants syndrome' its inevitable that sooner or later I dry out and kill gesnerias. Too bad for me. Many people have had good luck with them and keep them going for years. They also propagate and can be self pollinated to grow on seedlings. One year, knowing my deficiencies I potted up a tiny cuneifolia in a deep six inch plastic pot--wa-a-ay overpotted. It was under lights and it did very well, growing into a little bushy thing, always in bloom. So, that's one way to grow them. Some growers with low humidity grow them in small pots enclosed under domes or in clear topped sweater boxes. They are often grown wicked. The whole genus is found only in the Caribbean, with quite a few species, mostly not in cultivation. They can be found on almost all the islands including many species from Cuba. Too bad they didn't make it to Florida so we could have a true continental US native gesneriad. Many of the species are really beautiful but some are largish shrubs with smallish flowers. But, many spectacular species remain out there waiting to be brought into cultivation. If anyone is curious to see what gesneriads come from which islands, the Smithsonian's gesneriad search engine works very nicely--just type in the island and up will come all the gesneriads known from there.

So, for example in Cuba there are 23 gesneria species and a total of 37 species of gesneriads from all genera! In Cuba--who woulda guessed. Jamaica has 41 gesneriads (19 gesnerias). Puerto Rico only has 13 gesneriads of which 8 are gesnerias. And cuenifolia is found only on Puerto Rico--I was expecting I would see it native on more than one island. How about that.

Jon

Here is a link that might be useful: World Checklist of Gesneriaceae

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 3:00PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Thanks so much for your responses. Fortunately, up here in the fog belt, lack of humidity is never an issue. I have all my Gessies wicked; I've also improvised a mat watering system (cookie pans lined with green scrubbies from the dollar store) that works pretty well. I'll experiment and see which works best.

Korina

Bookmark   November 29, 2005 at 5:04PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Yippee! Yesterday there was one sub-microscopic fleck of green, and today there are three!!

In my limited seed germinating experience, I have had rotten luck, so this is wonderful! I'm so excited!

Korina

'I've traveled with a lot of people, but you're setting new records for jeopardy-friendly.' -the Doctor

Bookmark   December 30, 2005 at 12:25PM
korina(9b, Sunset 17)

Quick question. Marilyn, you said, '...the same amount of dolomite lime I use for Streptocarpus.' Now, I'm using coconut coir these days, no peat. Should I still use lime, and if so, how much? Coir is pH 5.5 - 6.8.

Korina

Bookmark   January 10, 2006 at 1:20PM
More Discussions
mirage leaf rotting
just was checking on my tray of streps.... and theres...
shihtzu4su
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Sponsored Products
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Faux
Home Depot
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Home Decorators Collection Rugs Faux
$19.00 | Home Depot
Holman Brushed Nickel One-Light Fluorescent Wall Sconce with Satin Etched Glass
$51.20 | Bellacor
Franklin Single Arm Chaise - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Angelo Bronze Lantern Chandelier
Overstock.com
Modus Bath Bar by Quorum International
$103.00 | Lumens
Hudson Valley Lighting | Basking Ridge Three Light Chandelier
$696.00 | YLighting
James Martin Furniture Monterey 48 in. Single Vanity - Antique Brandy Multicolor
Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™