Dichorisandra thyrsiflora 'Blue Ginger'

htown(North Houston)July 3, 2005

I know this is not really a ginger, but I figured that the people here could probably help me the best. I saw this plant growing at Peckerwood Gardens in Hempstead, and it was thriving, and according to them it is the oldest perrenial in thier garden. I got one last year, and thank goodness I took some cuttings, because only the cuttings survived. The original plant croaked. What I want to know is if anyone can give me some advice on where to plant this plant? Has anyone had long term success with this one? I live in NOrth HOuston Tx, almost in zone 8b. This I have two of these plants growing in 3 gallon container and I want to put atleast one of them in the ground. I guess I should email Peckerwood/Yuccado too, and ask them for advice.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bihai(zone 9)

I live in zone 8B an dthey are hardy here, come back every year, have survived many years of winters down to 20F. North Houston doesn't get any colder than we do, but your winters are wetter. Maybe its rotting in the wet cold.

Bookmark   July 5, 2005 at 9:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plantaholic(zone 8a AL)

ive been growing it in central alabama for many years. in fact, i know of plantings older than mine......over 20 years. from my experience, it seems to prefer somewhat shady, rich, moist, well-drained soil. i mulch in the winter....but im colder here in northern zone 8a.

Bookmark   July 16, 2005 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
ginger dormancy -- detailed desired
This topic was brought up in the Vegetable Gardening...
daninthedirt
Grocery store ginger is sprouting
Hey all - I have a ginger on my dining table that I...
a_shau
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Another Ginger ID
I was gifted this as edible pink ginger. It don't look...
inulover
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08 (SC z7/8)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™