growing petrocosmeas

alenka(6)November 8, 2007

For those who grow petrocosmeas -- do you have any special tips on their care? I have two small plants of P. forrestii, and I just put two leaves down of P. rosettifolia. Say, compared to african violet care, what do these guys like different?

I read that they prefer cooler temperatures -- so how cool is cool enough for them to like? I have a drafty windowsill where themperatures drop to 50F in the winter, and, well, it's quite drafty. I mistakenly put a couple of african violet babies there last winter, they never quite recovered. Would the petrocosmeas like that spot, or they are better off in a kind of spot that violets like?

Do they mind summer temperatures of up to 80-83F?

Also, do they need something beyond basic care in order to grow into these perfect symmetrical rosettes I see in online photographs? Or they will naturally grow perfect like that as long as they are healthy?

Also, propagation -- I put down a leaf of my p. forrestii, just to see how easy it will root, and then I pulled it out a week later, and it already had a bunch of roots. Will p. rosettifolia be just as easy to root? (I won't be pulling those out to check, since I only got those two leaves, so I'm curious :) ). And will they send plantlets just as easily, or they'll sit there forever with just roots?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irina_co(z5 CO)

Alenka -

we have a lady in our club who loves them and grows them to the size of a dinnerplate. She keeps them in a shallow trays,has her stands covered with plastic to increase humidity, lets them grow and spread in the pot - doesn't repot too often - and says that if you keep them cold and humid - they grow perfect and fast.

The thing is - if you stress them up - and 83F can be a stress - they go into blooming - and after blooming they send suckers all over the place - and it is an end to this mama plant - it will look like crazy mop. But the bloom is a treat. :-))

Irina

PS I got mine dry for a couple of times - they all blooming now - except P. parryorum - never bloomed for me yet.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 2:17PM
alenka(6)

Thanks, Irina! That's good to know about humidity. I too want to grow one like a dinner plate! :) I guess I'll try one in a colder spot, 50-60F, and one in a 60-70F spot, and I'll cover both for humidity, and I'll see what happens. Sounds like a plan.

And thanks for the tip on stress and flowering -- I guess I'll put down a few more leaves so that I have back up baby plants ready if/when summer heat drives the big plants into crazy blooming things.

Looked up P. parryorum, that's neat how different it is from the tightly growing ones. It's a cool genus.

Bookmark   November 9, 2007 at 6:15PM
alenka(6)

This is kind of neat, so I figured I'd post about it :) After Irina's reply I looked up Petrocosmea parryorum, and I really liked it, so I got a small plant. A couple of leaves were slightly bruised, so I took them off and put them down for propagation. That was about a month ago, and now each leaf has 3 plantlets, but both leaves have no roots! Not a single root! Both the leaves and the plantlets look really healthy, so evidently they aren't missing the roots at all! Anyway, just thought this was neat, that's all :)

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 11:22PM
alenka(6)

Oh, and Irina's suggestion to keep petrocosmeas cold and humid is doing wonders to my P. forrestiis -- they are growing faster than I expected, and very symmetrical, and the new leaves have a much healthier color than the ones the plants came with when I bought them. Thanks, Irina!

Bookmark   January 2, 2008 at 11:28PM
irina_co(z5 CO)

You are welcome.

There are a couple interesting petrocosmeas you can grow - P. rosettifolia - the name is not official - but it is very pretty - and P. kerrii - this one is the fuzziest of them all.
Actually all of them are lovely...

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: Petrocosmeas on a GesneriadWeb

Bookmark   January 3, 2008 at 12:09AM
More Discussions
Awesome Seller!
Just for those who have never ordered from him, Gary's...
judyj
Looking For Streptocarpus Seeds
I am someone who had passion for Streptocarpus when...
Primeroseguy
My new favorite...at least for now.
Fred's Monday Morning. One of newest streps, really...
davioletman
gloxinia leaf spots??
this is worrying to me. its just a one stalk plant...
shihtzu4su
Will these lipstick plant branches remain up right indefinitely?
I got a lipstick plant about 2 months ago. It is directly...
tlbean2004
Sponsored Products
Burnt Orange Embossed Metal Planter Set
$24.99 | zulily
Troy Barbell Cambered 34 in. Lat Bar - TSPLB-34S
$63.25 | Hayneedle
Transfer Pipettes - 3 ml - 20 per Pack - HGPIP
$14.99 | Hayneedle
Riverside Cantata Bookcase - 4919
$555.75 | Hayneedle
Paris 26 in. Counter Stool - Exotic Cognac - Set of 2 - GREE200
Hayneedle