Growing hedychium

aurorawa(8B)July 2, 2014

I have a few of these in a 10 inch deep 4 foot long 1 foot wide rectangular planter. I am trying to grow them successfully, however, information is conflicting. They seem to be healthy, for now.
My question: Full sun/part sun or shade? There seems to be a ton of conflict over this. I am sure this has been answered, but with a baby and work, I don't have time to dig through the forum.
Thanks in advance! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5

I grow all of my hedychiums in pots and they're outside for the summer, but in a greenhouse in the winter. I have grown them in half day sun, and some in full sun. Most of them do well either way as long as they never dry out.

Having said that, it does depend on which ones you have. I have found that greenii likes at least half-day semi shade and coronarium seems to like that, also. Some of the hybrids, like Anne Bishop, with tougher (thicker) leaves will take more sun. If the leaves curl under or start to bleach out, move them to a brightly lit area with some direct sun morning and/or evening, but no direct sun during the hottest part of the day. I have grown Anne Bishop in full sun all day, but it was watered daily and never dried out. It bloomed on every stalk that year at 4 feet, which was pretty nice. In semi-shade it also does well, but has darker green foliage and gets taller.

I guess overall, I'd try your planter in half day sun with bright shade in the afternoon. If your leaves aren't curling up or bleaching out, they're probably happy. You need to keep them moist and I use liquid fertilizers to get the fastest growth and bloom. I usually put them in as much sun as they'll tolerate for fastest growth, but don't move them around continuously. You'll need to pick a spot and let them get acclimated before you make a judgment about moving them.

Good luck!

Bob

Bookmark   July 2, 2014 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Northern Middle Tennessee Ginger, What Kind?
I would very much like to start a hot bed for ginger...
HobHoggins
Ordem genericos do Cytotec 200 mcg sem receita
CLIQUE AQUI PARA COMPRAR CYTOTEC Cytotec Genérico...
akertod
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
container growing
What size pots are best for growing Hedychium?
shane11
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™