Wanted: Heliconias or unusual Flowering Gingers

georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)July 22, 2006

Hi all, I've posted before I'm hoping to find a heliconia rhizome or two, I would like a nice lobster Claw type like H. Splash or Hot Rio Nites, but will take any generous offer, I live on a small disability check and have been planting out a tropical garden for a woman who has cancer, so I'm pretty much tapped out and don't have much to trade. I can how ever pay the postage and maybe for the Rhizome if you are not asking for much. If you can help me out please email me at my yahoo address. Thank You and have a great season.

George W. Z6 Mo.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bihai(zone 9)

I shouldn't have to point out the obvious to you, which is, in zone 5 or zone 6, you don't have a chance in Hades of getting any heliconia to grow and bloom in a garden "planted out" for anyone. And you aren't asking for cheap plants here. Heliconia champneiana "Splash" is one of the more hard to locate and EXPENSIVE heliconias, and also one of the finickier types. It isn't all that well suited to container culture either. "Hot Rio Nights" (also known as Dimitri Sucre) gets WAY too big for either someone with cancer or someone with a disability to manage.
I sympathize with you and what you are trying to do, but it just ain't gonna work.

Bookmark   July 24, 2006 at 3:55PM
georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)

Hello bihai, So even with protection they won't grow, Huuum... I been told something to that extent before and was able to grow the plants in my green house and still have them after 5 years now. I may just buy one and see, if it dies it will just be my loss.
Thanks for your info though.
George

Bookmark   July 27, 2006 at 8:52PM
bihai(zone 9)

So you aren't actually planting them out for a cancer victim, they are actually for YOU and your greenhouse?

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 8:01PM
georgew79(Z5-6 MO.)

Hi bihai, yes I am planting them for Kathy who has cancer, but I would like some too for myself as I have pretty well used up all my own plants, I planted her some Passifora's a few white butterfly gingers rhizomes, some cannas, various hardy hibiscus. I'm down to just a few passion vines and some hibiscus that I grow.
I thought I could plant the Heliconias in a large 30gal. container for her and move them inside for her if need be, she lives just down the road from me. I have a small green house and also move some of my plants inside to a extra room. I posted that I have been wanting some for myself also, if you will back read my post some, besides planting some for her. I can still trade a Passiflora foetida some hardy hibiscus seeds, and some rare Bolivian pepper seeds although I didn't post them, I'm not trying to put anything over on any one, if you think that is what I'm doing, I did say that I would be glad to pay the postage if it wasn't to much, and I did say that I was hoping to get some for myself. I don't understand what is wrong with that. George W. Z6 Mo.

Bookmark   July 30, 2006 at 10:43PM
gaza(10 la CA)

i sympathize too,but like bahai said,unless you have a greenhouse with at least a 12 feet high roof,they are not going to work
maybe try smaller strictas,like dorado gold,or sharonii.
beleive me these plants get HUGE!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2006 at 10:09PM
More Discussions
Grocery store ginger is sprouting
Hey all - I have a ginger on my dining table that I...
a_shau
How do I store ginger for planting next spring?
Hi, I bought a huge ginger root from Indonesia and...
humbll
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
Growing Ginger relative 'Turmeric'
I have found some fresh Turmeric root at a local Asian...
oldherb
Sponsored Products
Van Teal Wheels of Steel Golden Ochre Torchiere Floor Lamp
Euro Style Lighting
Ginger Floor Lamp - Original BTC
$655.00 | HORNE
Blue Ceramic Beside Table Lamps for Living Room
ParrotUncle
Pierced Bone China Ginger Jar Night Light Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Prandina | Ginger S50 Pendant Light
$770.00 | YLighting
Fuchsia Premium Zester
$11.99 | zulily
Maharam | Layers Park Double Pillow, Sienna/Ginger/Rose
YLiving.com
Wood Molding & Trim: Zamma Flooring Ginger Snap Oak 3/4 in. Thick x 2-3/4 in.
$34.98 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™