Eucodonia Adele -how to grow?

Mari11(z5a Toronto)December 13, 2008

I just bought a new plant - Eucodonia Adele, it is blooming and beautiful. But I could not find any good info online about growing it. Light, temperature, dormancy, propagation?

I will appreciate your suggestions!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
harrywitmore(Zone7 NC)

I have had this plant for a few years but I have never grown it well. But, it does propagate easily from cuttings or division of the scaly rhizome. I love the velvety leaves on this and the flowers a nice also. Wish I could grow it better.

Bookmark   December 16, 2008 at 10:48AM
bubba62

I grow this and other Eucodonias just as I do Achimenes - as summer bedding plants, mostly in pots (although they tend to migrate around the garden as the rhizomes get recycled in potting soil, etc.). In autumn I let them dry off and die down, then, if the pot is small enough and only contains the gesneriads, I put the whole thing in a dark, cool place (garage or attic), and leave it until spring. You can also dig through and pick out the little rhizomes (they look kind of like tiny pine cones) and store them in bags of vermiculite someplace where it stays cool and dark, but doesn't freeze (anyplace you'd keep apples or potatoes in winter will do). In spring, pull them out, repot if necessary, and start watering again. Several of these which escaped into the garden have returned after the last two winters, which, admittedly, were warmer than most. I think they, like a lot of things that go dormant in winter, can survive more cold if they're in a drier location.

My best use of Eucodonias this year was trailing over the edge of a large pot containing a clump of Kaempferia, a broadleafed, deciduous ginger (sort of like a subtropical hosta). Since it needs a dry, cool winter rest, I just hauled the whole deal into the garage under a table. It looks awful now, but will be beautiful next summer and fall when it gets light, water, and warmth again.

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 4:22AM
irina_co(z5 CO)

My problem with it - I grow it under the lights - and as any trailing plant - it would look much better as a hanging pot. The flowers are beautiful, the leaves are interesting - but the weedy and weak trailing stems...

Looks like Bubba from VA got the perfect place for them.

Irina

Bookmark   December 17, 2008 at 12:24PM
More Discussions
Any care tips for Alsobia Dianthiflora?
I live in Michigan, and I was wondering which window...
LilBit7765
mirage leaf rotting
just was checking on my tray of streps.... and theres...
shihtzu4su
Nyc gesnariads
Anyone in nyc want to trade leaves/cuttings? Rather...
nycav123
Chocolate Soldier Plant
Back in the spring, someone was looking for a Chocolate...
Grama
Has anybody seen this problem with streptocarpus cuttings?
A friend gave me a leaf from her streptocarpus plant...
audrey_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™