Pentas seeds

Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, FMay 8, 2013

I'm thinking about purchasing some Pentas seeds and... well... growing them from seed. It seems a much more economical way to fill out my beds with nectar plants than going to the Big Box stores and buying already grown plants (and probably cuttings of other plants). But it has me wondering, I have not, in the year that I have been doing this, seen one of my Pentas plants go to seed. Is this because of the 'engineered' state of most of the Pentas varieties available at Big Box stores? Or do Pentas need some rather exacting measures in order to become pollinated and go to seed? Or will I, by purchasing and growing from seed, be giving myself a huge headache down the road as these reseed themselves all over my garden (which I have yet to read any records of such happening)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
carolb_w_fl(zone 9/10)

Perhaps there are some varieties of pentas that are sterile? I've seen that cuttings are recommended as 1 way to propagate them.

I can relate this anecdote: we have a bed of pentas @ work - red & bright pink, & the pink 1s have reseeded into a nearby bed, but the red 1s, so far, have not reseeded. I plucked some of the seedheads of both types & scattered them about in other areas to see if they'll come up there as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: EDIS fact sheet on pentas

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 9:41AM
More Discussions
Would like to try growing roses.
I have a place in front of my home where I would like...
marilyn_fl
New Floridian gardener
Im a snowbird who is loving gardening all year long...
juttz
A mystery plant... Any ideas?
Rescued this plant from a friends house. It's in pretty...
soleil_blume_hooke
Speaking of Coffee
I was watching an episode of Gardening Australia the...
Michael AKA Leekle2ManE - Zone 9a - Lady Lake, F
Pics of recycle pipe and my garden
Hello to all of my gardening friends! This past year...
organic_elizabeth_b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™