Mulching

Brett-CpGMay 16, 2014

I've done a good bit of searching and reading already, but I'm running out of ideas/time.

I've got a nice, big 600 sq ft vegetable garden and I need to put down some mulch. Ive got 10 inches of solid red clay that I tilled some (i.e. completely inadequate amount) compost into recently, and got plants in the ground. Everything looks great, seedlings are up, transplants all took well, but I'm starting to see weeds popping up, too.

Here's the tricky part. I want to keep the weeds down, but I also want to spread out and till in the mulch at the end of the year to help amend and loosen the soil. What type of mulch (pine, hardwood, cyprus, pine needles, hay, etc) is going to be the best for my soil if I do this?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zzackey(8b GA)

We used dry grass clippings from our yard. It's free. I don't know if it's the best or not, but it keeps the weeds down well if you mulch it about 3 inches thick. When it gets wet it shrinks to about 2 inches.

Bookmark   May 16, 2014 at 2:18PM
opal52(z7b GA)

Lowes sells what they call a "soil conditioner",(Evergreen) which is simply pine bark fines. I have used it to mulch my vegetable garden, although my garden is much smaller than yours. It is very effective for keeping weeds down, and also protecting vegetables from soil splashing onto the plants. It doesn't wash away in heavy rains. I mention this because it is relatively inexpensive, and pine bark fines are typically used to help improve soil drainage. You could till it under at end of season and it should actually help improve your clay soil. I'm no vegetable gardening expert, but I have used this product for both mulching and to improve the soil and found it worked.

Bookmark   May 18, 2014 at 6:11PM
botanicat

I use layers of newspaper or cardboard such as opened out cereal boxes covered with wheat straw. No weeds and no problem tilling next time.

Bookmark   May 21, 2014 at 11:44AM
lawsonbrownLLC(7b)

Can you just open up & lay out the newspaper right over top of the garden soil? Don't have to shred it or anything? I have tomato plants and some herbs in two small raised-beds. I incorporated emu manure for the tomato plant areas.

Also, as the newspaper decays, can you add egg shells and coffee & natural filters to it? Seems it would take a long time for this stuff to decay.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:19PM
celeste(7a)

Yes to the egg shells, coffee, and filters being added to your soil. In fact, you can actually direct deposit these and they will be integrated into your soil within 2 weeks. Banana peels (cut into smaller pieces) are great, too.

Bookmark   June 15, 2014 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
Camellia sinensis
"Camellia Sinensis" Tolerates more sun than...
girlgroupgirl
Help in Southern IL
I moved from NW GA to near St Louis, Paduch, the Ohio...
organic_gardenhag
have: lime tree - free to good home!
I have an unknown type of lime tree (not a dwarf) planted...
alison234
N. Ga. Mountain region
We've purchased a home with what appear to be 6 established...
eagleap_gw Zone 10
Growing on a slope in North Georgia
I live in very N. Georgia. Basically Chattanooga, Tn....
Natdiamond
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™