White Butterfly Ginger

wendybird13August 10, 2013

I am driving myself crazy with these plants !! I first planted near my 8ft tall gingers so they would have some shade- they didn't like it there. I moved them 2 months ago in front of my wooden fence which faces north yet receives mid morning- afternoon sun and stopped watering them so much and they were doing great. Now they look like this- curling leaves some are brown some are yellow. Over watering or under watering? Too much sun? I have read numerous articles some say a lot of water some say not. HELP !!!!!! Also recommendations for a good Ginger fertilizer please:)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Would be a good idea to dig down and check the roots. The yellowing suggests over watering. The main thing is not so much the amount of water but whether it drains away. Soggy anaerobic soil isn't good for them.

Bookmark   August 12, 2013 at 1:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandnsea(9)

These plants hate wet feet...but need moist soil & well drained, they need sun but look better in partial sun/shade....curling leaves mean too much sun, burnt/browning leaves too much sun also, yellowing leaves too much water so it is going to be finding the right combination of all....during the cooler months they will go to sleep and die back and return in the Spring. These plants are beautiful and fragrant and well worth the trouble...just do not get too frustrated and keep working at it. "SMILE" did I tell you grasshoppers love the leaves....sorry

This post was edited by sandnsea on Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 22:56

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
Turmeric in FL?
Anyone have any problems growing it? Mine looks so...
MsMowiss
Hedychium didnt flower & developed brown leaves
Hi, I'm new to growing gingers and thought it would...
rexedwardfairy
any traders in this forum?
I would love to trade some gingers for perennials....
erin08
Help with Ginger ID please
Hi everyone - I live on the east coast of Australia...
splinter1804
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Sponsored Products
Patio Living Concepts Outdoor Lighting. Shangri-La 30 in. Bronze Outdoor Table L
Home Depot
Lily Oil Rubbed Bronze Three-Light Vanity Light
$73.18 | Bellacor
nuLOOM Handmade Pino Black/ White Floral Fantasy Rug (8'3 x 11')
Overstock.com
Push Midback Office Chair in White
$339.00 | LexMod
Illuminating Experiences | Janeiro Ceiling Fixture M3468
$214.50 | YLighting
Belle Epoque Down Comforter - Year Round - 80512
$139.98 | Hayneedle
iPad Jotter- White
| Dot & Bo
Citrus Cleo 16" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for: