Taiwan Wild Ginger, Top Fragrance Profile

longriver(SF Bay Area)November 13, 2008

This wild ginger cultivar or species from Taiwan is not easy to flower. It requires mature plant. Taiwan has very mild Nov. just like SF Bay Area. It is blooming now.

Compared to the fragrance quality profile of other ginger cultivar plants, this one stands out.

The flower is also attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
daxin(z9 Bay Area)

Hi John,

It looks like some kind of Hedychium. I have tried Hedychium coronarium in the past and it was quite easy to grow. Currently I am trying Hedychium Dr. Moy, a variegated cultivar that has very late blooming season. So far I have not been able to make it bloom, but hopefully this late mini-heat wave will help it push out some flowers.

Bookmark   November 14, 2008 at 6:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Daxin, Honestly I have no clue what you are doing. Email me a picture if you have.
I had three kinds of ginger plants in different colors from Hawaii before. But eventually I got rid of them. The fragrance was okay, but not fantastic. This Taiwan wild ginger, to my surprise, has a very unique and very appealing fargrance to me. My house area is getting pretty cool due to my back hill blocking the sunlight. Another merit is that in cool or even cold temperature, this flower produces equal amount of intense fragrance for a long period of time. I was going to get rid of them due to never flowering for about 5 years( root-bound or maturity might be requirement for bloom). Now It is part of my precious tresure in my garden. See more flowers are coming.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   November 24, 2008 at 8:57PM
More Discussions
Sourcing Chinese/Japanese Wisteria
Hi All, I could use some guidance from you experienced...
josiahallen
What is finally being evicted this year?
Anyone finally lose patience or be so disappointed...
Maggie (Vancouver, BC 8a)
Mali Chat from Alohatropicals
I have got Mail chat plants from Alohatropicals. But...
bunti
Your 2015 wish list
Okay. I'm sort of ashamed to admit that I've already...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™