acrylic tub liners and surrounds

jubileej(6a)January 16, 2007

I am on the verge of deciding between tile and acrylic wall surround (and tub liner to put over cast iron tub). It will have commercial strength silicone backing. Will any of this off-gas like vinyls and pvcs? The bonding is supposed to make it very waterproof.

I hope enough people can find this forum at this point.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
althea_gw

I think an acrylic surround will off-gas. How much and for how long I can't say.

We had an acrylic surround at our last house. I would never ever have another. They are not very easy to clean, and seem to always look water spotted. Tile, on the other hand will good for the life of the tile. Stick with the tile and leave the plastic and silicon for some industrial use. Who needs an industrial strength shower anyway, no matter how long we've been out working in the garden? :~)

Bookmark   January 17, 2007 at 7:53PM
steve_o(4a MN)

Depending on how much you need to make the surround like most surrounds (with built-in soap holders and the like), you could consider a product like 3form's resin products. You would put up flat panels and then add things like soap holders and towel bars, but it would be attractive, would give you looks you could not possibly get with ceramic or glass tile, and would be easier to maintain than grout. Don't forget -- with tile you'll be buying a product that sometimes is produced under questionable working conditions and is very heavy despite being transported hundreds (or thousands) of miles. I'm considering 3form for my kitchen backsplash.

Here is a link that might be useful: 3form products

Bookmark   January 21, 2007 at 8:49AM
squeeze(z8 BC)

the "silicone backing" would offgas too much for me

Bill

Bookmark   January 27, 2007 at 12:41PM
More Discussions
Rain Barrel
Has anyone been able to find any truly attractive,...
Brucea1
Energy Reduction Suggestions
Hi! New to the forums but a long time lurker, what...
middlemike
printer Ink Cartridges
I discovered in Walmart the other day that you can...
murphy_zone7
There Ought to be a Law (or not?)
A federal law against packaging food/drugs/soap/etc....
joanie_pomseed
Water bottle solution?
I'm taking steps at going green and learning so much...
amycj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™