Costus vinosus - correct id???

minibim(FL z10)September 6, 2005

I received a rhizome from Mark Collins that was/is supposed to be C. vinosus. According to Dave Skinner's website C. vinosus has cupped ligules, mine does not.

Here are pic's of the first plant, it is getting filtered sunlight and seems to be losing the dark color in the leaves as well as the red underside.

This is a small clone of the first plant and is much darker and redder.

Is this C. vinosus?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GingersRus(Tallahassee z8B)

The cupped ligules is a characteristic of the form of Costus vinosus that is common in horticulture, but it is not necessarily a character that distinguishes the species. There might be forms of this species that do not have cupped ligules. The same is true of Costus productus, which has forms with cupped ligules (in horticulture they are called 'Emerald Chalice' and 'Maroon Chalice') and the more common form without cupped ligules (usually sold under the wrong name of Costus curvibracteatus).

It is impossible to tell for certain without seeing flowers, but your plant looks very much like Costus laevis. In the third picture from the top, the young folige near the ground has the characteristic silvery sheen of Costus laevis along the midrib. I went to the Osa Peninsula of Costa Rica this summer to study the Costus there, and this species was by far the most common, so I saw lots of it and can recognize it pretty well from the foliage. The coloration varies with maturity of the leaves and depending on the shade condition. Suggest you check and compare the photos of Costus laevis on my website against your plant.

By the way, I have just finished updating my website with over a thousand new photos and have added a new search engine to search the images.

Here is a link that might be useful: All About Gingers

Bookmark   September 12, 2005 at 7:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minibim(FL z10)

I think C. laevis is correct. Unfortunately it hasn't bloomed yet, it got off to a bad start after a herd of racoons decided to dance on it.

Bookmark   September 13, 2005 at 10:44AM
More Discussions
Northern Middle Tennessee Ginger, What Kind?
I would very much like to start a hot bed for ginger...
HobHoggins
book: Gingers of Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore?
Hello, I'm looking for information about torch ginger...
shahart
Is this ginger flowering?
Hi, Is this ginger bud? Thanks in advance. Anna This...
aaaaaaaa
Dwarf Ginger
Are there any mail order nurseries that carry dwarf...
roserx
Hilling edible ginger?
Thats what these guys say to do. Of course they are...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™