Beni Kin Mokusei Red Flowering Fragrant Tea Olive

lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)November 22, 2009

Does anyone have it or know much about it? I saw that Nurseries Caroliniana is selling it. I am very intrigued by it...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

This is such a cool looking plant. I hope someone here is growing it and will be able to tell you about it. Have you tried e-mailing the nursery directly with any questions?

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 7:18PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Yes, I asked the owner about it. He didn't have them long enough to see the blooms. Likely, next spring when that finally happens. It came from his friend in Japan that the owner brought into USA from Japan. He had been propagating aggressively from it past couple years. It looks like maybe in 5 years, he will have more cultivars to offer if things works out for him.

Bookmark   December 1, 2009 at 8:21PM
Ispahan Zone6a Chicago

Here is a link to an interesting article I found online that discusses the popularity of osmanthus in China as well as the elusive red-flowering form.

Here is a link that might be useful: Osmanthus article

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 10:03AM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Actually, I graduated from that college and been there in the fall for fall plant sale. Very nice fragrance from Osmanthus fragrans var. aurantiacus that I saw. I don't know what else they had but China has so much more to offer. They have one with huge flowers that's 1 inch across and another one that blooms 300 days a year.

Bookmark   December 17, 2009 at 7:59PM
longriver(SF Bay Area)

Red flower Osmanthus originates from China. There are so many red and golden ones there. There are about 200 cultivars of Osmanthus. I know there is a tendency. People grow a plant or a seedling and later put a fancy name to remember one's-self. Of course, there are plenty reasons to make a point to have a new name. This is just my observation.

Bookmark   December 18, 2009 at 12:57AM
More Discussions
Wanted: Rare scented plants
I have many rare scented tropicals to swap. Please...
Tropical Gardener
Gardenia suffering multiple ailement
Hi, I recently planted (less than 3 weeks ago) some...
sgreer13
Just recieved my michelia alba!
Today I received my michelia alba that I bought from...
Andrew Scott
Meyermike, you still out there??
Hope you are doing good, I haven't been on the forum...
mersiepoo
How can i preserve flower scent for as long as possible?
I have a couple lilies growing and the scent is AMAZING,...
jerem
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™