Where can I find Chuck Hayes Hardy Gardenias?

oath5(z6b/7a MD)November 30, 2005

I've heard they are great for our zone, I haven't been able to find any online except for mail-order...and that's complicated, I don't know if the plants will be small and stuff...now obviously I can't plant any now that's it's almost December, but is it worth to contact a local nursuries and see if they can try to get some in the spring? That they are somewhat substaintial in size already, I'm sure they'd be a hit up here, yet nobody seems to know they exist.....anyway, I posted this in both the Mid-Atlantic and here, since you guys know so much about fragrant stuff, and well, gardenias are fragrant....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimshy

I don't see why local nurseries wouldn't carry Chuck Hayes or other hardy gardenias; you're close enough to the Mason/dixon line for people to consider gardenias a proper part of a garden.

However, don't be put off by mail order -- some of the more reputable nurseries are quite honest about telling you exactly how big a plant you'll be getting, and their quality is just as good as local nurseries.

Good luck!

Jim

Bookmark   December 6, 2005 at 11:24AM
mare2(5bSt.Louis)

I agree with Jim on mail order, but do contact your local nurseries, too. In fact, if possible, go in and talk to them in person. I learned a long time ago that if you get to know the people who own your local nurseries, the good ones will often order what you want because it's good business. Some even keep "request lists." I even had the manager of a box store order some things for me once. Plus, as you must know if you're here, gardeners are just inherently lovely people!

Bookmark   December 20, 2005 at 3:02PM
laguna(z7MD)

carroll gardens in westminster md carries kleins hardy gardenia is chuck hayes more hardy than kleins? I bought kleins and it died. but carroll gardens has a great plant selection and i would think that they would carry the most hardy

Bookmark   December 27, 2005 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Jasmine 'Grand Duke of Tuscany Supreme'.
I cannot honestly remember if it is just GDT or the...
andrew78
Blooming in January!
Happy New Year everyone! Narcissus tazetta - Chinese...
true_blue
Plumeria stenopetala
So I've been resisting ordering a plant for days now...
Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
My Gardenia is dying because of spider mites,what to do?
Gardenia dying off below pic Ok to start with this...
Marwa Mars
Magnolia macclurei
Magnolia macclurei (Michelia macclurei) blooming images. Do...
jujujojo_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™